Brew pot question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
There are some buckingham stock pots on ebay at the moment at reduced price, i thought they would be a good starter to do a partial extract/partial mash with. The question i have is what size pot should i get, they have them from 6 up to 19. I would like to get the 19l one but its a big pan and im not sure if my hob will heat that size as its only a stanard 4 ring gas hob. What size pan will i need to be able to do some partial extract or partial mash recipes without it being too big for my hob? Thanks for the help guys! :D

I think the minimum you need is 10L but the bigger the better.

If you do go for the 19L one then you caould easily do BIAB with it.

would my hob be able to heat 19l of wort though? i dont have a large central burner or anything just a 4 ring hob

get the 19l one it will be most useful in the future. A normal cooker will heat it up ok, may take a little extra time but you can always use that time watching your fuel meter whizzing round ! :D . What you have to be careful of are electric induction cookers, they are designed for special pans with thicker bottoms.

yeh it says on the description not to be used with induction hobs as it is quite a lightweight pot. Ill probably go for the 19l one then cant really go wrong at £20

Cool i think this may be the way to go then as i live in a flat and im not going to have room for an all grain setup any time soon. Cheers for the replies

I've just got one of those 19L pots they are pretty thin but should work OK the lid was scratched up a bit but still OK. Mine was just over £22 delivered.

yeh the one i saw was £19.95 with free delivery but there are a few different listings around £20. Definately going to give BIAB a try after ive used the kit ive got waiting. Any suggestions for a fairly simple first recipe? I was thinking id try an IPA first but open to suggestions

Latest posts

Back