Brewday 11/09/10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
I picked up 4 bottles of this the other day
eab2dacd.jpg

Mainly because of what it says at the bottom of the second paragraph, "White Shield boasts a small amount of William Worthington's feisty dual yeast"
a596b726.jpg

So I'm going to culture the yeast and pitch it into a Pale Ale on Saturday 11th Sept.
So while I undertook the arduous task of drinking the contents of the bottles I made up a malt extract solution at SG 1.030
d9ece964.jpg

While the boiled solution was cooling and I bravely struggled through the chore of drinking the beers, after carefully pouring it to keep the yeast sediment, I re capped the bottles and covered them with aluminium foil to keep any nasties out.
09079a70.jpg

As you can see from the above picture I only used 3 out of the 4 bottles as one of the looked like this on opening :sick:
e0e7c30b.jpg

Although I drank the beer and it tasted fine :grin: I didn't fancy running the risk of infecting the yeast culture.

Here's the starter with the yeast dregs pitched.
63d61c0b.jpg

So long as it comes to life I'll build it up into a bigger starter :D
This is the proposed recipe
white sheild thingy (Standard/Ordinary Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 33.0 (Average)

87.72% Pale Ale Malt
6.58% Caramalt
5.7% Wheat Malt

1 g/L Target (10% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
0.4 g/L Bramling Cross (5.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Worthington white sheild yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've got a couple of bottles of this in the fridge for just the same reason.
The beer isn't bad either.

I read a big thread on another site about the White Sheild yeast.
Seems it is a very vigourous top fermenter, so leave plenty of headspace in your FV :D
Also the yeast head seems to need stirring back in once or twice a day to maintain good activity.
Most everyone who commented on the thread were very impressed with it....good attenuater and produces quite a dry beer.

There was some doubt as to whether the yeast is the primary strain, but it seems to do a very good job regardless.

Have fun :thumb:

" The arduous task of drinking the contents (almost) of the bottles" The homebrewers art is sometimes pergatory, a true labour of love :hmm: :drink: :lol:

I wasn't going to bother with pics Cussword, so they are all from after the boil :(
A bad picture trying to show the hot break material (Too steamy)
2010-09-18153404.jpg

Running into the FV
2010-09-18183148.jpg

Got the colour I wanted :D
2010-09-18183553.jpg

SG 1.047(corrected for temperature)
2010-09-18183733.jpg

Aerated and waiting for the yeast
2010-09-18185954.jpg

And of course the obligatory dirty photo :grin:
2010-09-18190814.jpg

The yeast culture was really good highwayman :thumb: I'd built it up to a 4L starter forgot to take a picture though :oops:
Let's see how it works :thumb:

Love it!

Great brew, you'll have to let us know how it turns out.. how is the fermentation going?

Latest posts

Back