Brewdog Hardcore IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenSL

Reaction score
My brew for this weekend, straight from the recently released Brewdog recipes (https://www.brewdog.com/diydog), is Hardcore IPA. One of my favourite beers so really looking forward to this one.

I could do with your opinions on a couple of matters:

Their recipe states Crystal 150 which I have assumed to mean 150 EBC (we are in Europe after all). But when I put the malt bill into my recipe editor (Brewersfriend) the expected final colour is quite a bit short at 13/26 (SRM?EBC) and should be 20/40.

Perhaps they mean Crystal 150L? This is dark/very dark crystal and is described to add burnt toffee flavour. Harcore IPA certainly has a load of caramel but I wouldn't describe it as burnt.

Would you stick with 150EBC or try and get hold of some 300 (could be difficult between now and Saturday). I'm not bothered about the colour but am not sure whether the resulting beer will be significantly different if I use either crystal.

Their recipe doesn't have the timings of the flavour hop additions stating simply as 'middle' addition. I'm planning on splitting this 50:50 between a 10 minute addition and a 5 minute, followed by the 'final' addition at whirlpool at 80C.

Thanks.
D

Numbers sound wrong for colour anyway so I wouldn't worry about it, 20 SRM is getting towards the dark brown end of the scale i.e. Brown Ales or Lighter porters so not what you are after for an IPA normally

Got the hops from Brewdog themselves. Met one of their brewers at a tasting session recently and told him I was a home brewer. He posted me a selection of their hops foc. 2kg in total very gratefully received :grin:

This will be my 4th brew from the hops after Pliny the Elder, Deschuttes Fresh Squeezed IPA and Stones Arrogant *******.

Got the hops from Brewdog themselves. Met one of their brewers at a tasting session recently and told him I was a home brewer. He posted me a selection of their hops foc. 2kg in total very gratefully received :grin:

This will be my 4th brew from the hops after Pliny the Elder, Deschuttes Fresh Squeezed IPA and Stones Arrogant *******.

NICE! What a top notch result that is, saved you at least a £100 quid there I reckon :thumb:

Yeah definitely. They were mostly american hops (Citra, Simcoe, Centennial, Mosaic, Chinook, Columbus) with some Nelson thrown in as well.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll stick with the Crystal 150 (EBC).

Latest posts

Back