Brewdog in trouble again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
This time for advertising their competition claiming they had hidden “solid gold” cans worth £15k in their multipacks, when the reality is they were gold plated brass valued professionally by the winners and being worth about £500. Brewdog claim the wording was an “error”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57650685

Simple answer really, if BrewDog think their prize cans are really worth £15k then they should be happy to buy them back from the winners for that price.

If I'd somehow won one (unlikely as I don't buy beer from them) I'd want to realise it's value in cash rather than hanging onto some tacky ornament that's unlikely to gain value over time 😁

I saw something where someone had calculated that a 'Solid Gold' can would weigh somewhere between 6 and 7 kg and be worth about £300k.

Even if the can was a normal hollow can made of nothing but gold they still couldn't call it 'solid'. It was a mistake and they did drop the 'solid' part from the ads eventually but the originals are still showing on twitter etc from months ago. They'd probably have people crying conspiracy and cover up if they'd been removed tho.

I think they need to just bite the bullet and pay the winners the £15K and stop the bad press piley on that's happening right now.

Any chance this is a distraction to draw attention from something else?
Yeah but just moving from one PR cock-up to another probably isn't the best way to deal with it.

Their beer's gone downhill anyway, they should probably concentrate on that for a while.

This time for advertising their competition claiming they had hidden “solid gold” cans worth £15k in their multipacks, when the reality is they were gold plated brass valued professionally by the winners and being worth about £500. Brewdog claim the wording was an “error”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57650685

Just read the article - this is so far out of order its untrue. regardless of the use of the word solid there is no way that anybody wouldn't have a definite expectation of receiving something that tangibly was worth £15 grand.

Even if it was not a solid gold can i.e it is just a solid gold can, the intimation that all parts of the can where solid gold.
How can they expect the contents of Hazy Jane in a gold can be worth £15k.
As a professional outfit they should not make mistakes like that, when I used to do the advertising for big PLC car dealers if I said I will take anything as a PX to the value of £100 thats what I did and I had to be meticulous to comply with advertising standards and Trades Description act.
How can they say it is a mistake they should take the cans back or give the winners the option of £15K or its just a legal quagmire and more bad press

So they have maybe been influenced by charlie and the chocolate factory, what next free trip to mars then you get a winter break in margate!!

No, you really do win a Brewdog trip to Mars. The small print is that it's only one way and you have to provide your own oxygen...

The 15k value is calculated using more than just the metal value 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Brewdog 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
While the £15K is a bit of a stretch, calculating value based on more than the cost of the raw materials is legit.

A pint of beer in a pub costs more than just the cost of the malt, yeast, hops etc.

Well, if all else fails the lucky winners can always sue brewdog for lead poisoning from the 'special' brass can! 🤢

I've really never like Brewdog.

It's a company that seems to be built around "banta" culture, all their stunts and rubbish have (finally) come back to bite them in the rear. Sure over the years they've put out some interesting stuff, and they've made themselves a fortune doing it. But they are the absolute epitome of a band wagon.

They've built their name on social media and now they're looking to lose it on social media too.

Their beer's gone downhill anyway, they should probably concentrate on that for a while.

Very much this.. Been drinking their stuff for years but recently yeah it feels like the beers are made by accountants and squeezing every penny from them making them boring and lifeless... I treat their beers now very much how i treat cheap lagers!...

I don't buy commercial beers as a rule, but when we're away in the caravan I used to treat myself to a couple of packs of Punk IPA. Not anymore, it's gone **** ! Wouldn't touch Brewdog stuff now.

They do seem to be sliding down the must buy list :(
However I do buy Mr president, double punk, duopolis, layer cake, mallow laser quest & triple hazy. I might give up on jackhammer either lupulin threshold shift has occured or the recipe has. It's no longer my fave brewdog beer.

Latest posts

Back