Brewery jobs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonlee471

Reaction score
I'd like to start a career in brewing and just wondered if anyone is in the industry and has tips on how to get started, what I should be doing, what they are looking for etc

I'd like to start a career in brewing and just wondered if anyone is in the industry and has tips on how to get started, what I should be doing, what they are looking for etc

Get in line! :lol:

I think quite a few would be pro-homebrewers like the thought of this.

One of the best things to do is get to know one of your local breweries, especially if they have a tap room. Chat to them, drink their beer, get on a first name basis then see about some free labour in your spare time. That's what I would do and have tried in the past.

My local brewery are looking for two guys, which quite appealed until I saw it was shift work and a fork lift licence was required

Exactly what I have been doing, I spoke to a guy from purity when I was at a free event with him for tips. I then went to my local brewery's pub and got chatting to the guy who high up and mentioned I wanted to volunteer and he gave me an email address which he said would be better than the one I had already emailed and now I'm just waiting for a reply.

Just wondered if there was anything I should be doing in the meantime I'm not experienced at this but I am really passionate about it, should I just be getting my hands on as much information as possible ?

..... I'm just waiting for a reply.
My suggestion is, don't wait. Get on the phone to others. One contact is not enough.
Are you prepared you relocate in pursuit of your ambition? If you are there will be more opportunity.
And yes, of course you should be getting as much info together as possible, that's a given.

The trouble is I live in Birmingham and despite the size, that is my only local choice. And I am willing, im moving to London come August to pursue it where there are many more breweries to choose from but I want experience before hand so it will make getting a job down there much eaisier.
And yes I've read and listened to lots so I know the pay isn't great but from what I've heard it's a lot better than what I'm on now, working nights in a supermarket.

The trouble is I live in Birmingham and despite the size, that is my only local choice. And I am willing, im moving to London come August to pursue it where there are many more breweries to choose from but I want experience before hand so it will make getting a job down there much eaisier.
And yes I've read and listened to lots so I know the pay isn't great but from what I've heard it's a lot better than what I'm on now, working nights in a supermarket.
Jason
Living in London on a low wage is a step down in living standards from living in Brum on a low wage, because things cost that much more. Make sure you do your financial sums before you commit.

Jason
Living in London on a low wage is a step down in living standards from living in Brum on a low wage, because things cost that much more. Make sure you do your financial sums before you commit.

Totally agree. It's the rent/mortgage that's the big killer down here. Tansport costs can be expensive too but London is actually quite compact and cycling is definatley a viable option (I do)

Knowing friends who work in brewing there seems to be 3 ways in:

1) The old skool 'apprenticeship' but it won't be called that, just minimum wage brewery jobs, cleaning out the mash tun, lifting and carrying, racking kegs etc. Then try and work your way up.

2) Do a degree in something useful to a brewery, ask them and see what's needed as a prerequisite for the masters later, but chemical engineering would be most appropriate if a little OTT. Then do a masters in brewing and distillation or similar and join as a brewer.

3) Do something else, earn some money, start your own brewery. Expand, realise that although better paid than option 1 if you're doing well, that's basically what you are, employ someone who's done 1 or 2 and kick back to some title like 'director of brewing', or do a Camden Town and sell it for ���£85million in 5 years.

Bear in mind, it won't be a hobby if it's a job. Home brewing is a great hobby, lot to learn, lots to do, beer at the end of it (and during it), variety of beer, etc. Digging out a 30bbl mash tun every day, making the same beer day after day (remember 90% of the job is cleaning, and 90% of the remainder is trying to make this weeks batch exactly like last weeks) , or days on end racking bottles in a microbrewery?? And you've got to do it all sober!

Have a look on the SIBA website, the best paid jobs are in sales and marketing, getting paid ����£55-����£60k to talk about beer, or ����£20-����£30k to make it? There's a whole industry of beer related jobs that may or may not be more fun than digging out a mash tun for a living!

(No offence to anyone who digs out mash tuns as part of their job, I've a friend who 's Brand Manager for some of the SAB Miller brands so it could be worse!)

p.s. you could do worse than doing the "chemistry of brewing" course, it's free on the OU site via some american uni.

A brewer I follow on Twitter recently expressed his dismay about homebrewers dropping off a CV, but not providing any samples of their work. So I'd suggest ensuring you can give them a few bottles of your wares.

A couple of my mates own a brewery so I help out as and when. Brewing, cleaning, delivering and serving. All good experience should I want to move into the industry, but I don't think I'd be able to afford the wage drop.

There's an opening in Coventry but it's for a head brewer.

If finances/times allows I would look to do a course. Look in brewlab

+1 for that.
Lots of breweries would take you on if you have a Brewlab Diploma. When they sell bottled beer to the likes of M&S and Tesco these companies expect the staff to have recognised qualifications rather than just enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Latest posts

Back