Brewing shed insulation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
How have you insulated outdoor sheds for keeping FVs and the such? I don't want it chilled or hot, but if I can somehow keep it at a steady 18-22°C ie around 20 I'd be happy with that. And is there a minimum size for a shed that can be reasonably controlled?

I would have thought even with a well insulated shed that you would need a secondary heat source in the colder months and cooling in the warmer months.

Could you not use a temperature controlled fridge for your fvs ? You

I would have thought even with a well insulated shed that you would need a secondary heat source in the colder months and cooling in the warmer months.

Could you not use a temperature controlled fridge for your fvs ? You
Is there a part I'm missing here at the end?

Is there a part I'm missing here at the end?
Sorry, yes not sure what happened there. You could still insulate the shed to keep the fridge within the operating temperature ranges

Last edited:
I agree, I can’t see how the shed can be 18-22 inside when it’s just a few degrees outside without a source of heat. Similarly, when it’s 30 outside you will need some cooling if you still want 18-22.

On the question of insulation though, I used 3” Kingspan in the walls, covering the door, and under the floor. I used 9” Kingspan in the roof space to keep the heat of the sun from coming through. This all does a good job but I do use heating in winter and cooling in summer.

My fermentation cupboard is built inside the shed and has additional 3” walls and roof insulation. Again I have heating and cooling to maintain a set temperature but much lower power because the space is smaller.

So considering size, smaller spaces with more insulation take less energy to heat and cool.

I used 75 mm polystyrene and used pine paneling over that with cedar weather boards on the outside. A 2.5 kw reverse cycle air con keeps it cool in summer and warm in winter, runs 24/7 all year round.

001.JPG

I have a Bar/Pub in my garden and have done similar to Foxy with rockwool and pine cladding on the inside. I do not use the Bar for brewing as it fluctuates tremendously in the Uk even with the insulation. It still drops down to cool temps in winter and very high in the heatwaves so I too would suggest a brew fridge unless you want to have a massive heat bill in the winter and we know where that is going don't we.

Back