Brewzilla 3.1.1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived yesterday, set it up last night and made sure it was water tight, the pump worked, and it heated. All looked great!

I disagree about the Xmas day thing! It was much better than Xmas!

Going to give it a clean tomorrow and ready for maiden brew at the weekend!

Still reading cardboard from the garage but will get there

Attachments

• 15912974223852279600816365299009.jpg
    15912974223852279600816365299009.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 101
Just starting

When's your first brew on it?

One thing to be aware of after the mash when you lift the malt pipe out, make sure all 4 feet on the malt pipe are securely in place before you let go. I sent litres of 75c water flying across my kitchen when only 3 of the 4 feet were in place causing it to pivot sideways.

When's your first brew on it?

One thing to be aware of after the mash when you lift the malt pipe out, make sure all 4 feet on the malt pipe are securely in place before you let go. I sent litres of 75c water flying across my kitchen when only 3 of the 4 feet were in place causing it to pivot sideways.
Was just testing dry and noticed dimension difference when sliding screens and malt pipe in place. Built now but going to enjoy a beer so will leak check tomorrow but won't be brewing for a few days as I'm working the weekend.

Was just testing dry and noticed dimension difference when sliding screens and malt pipe in place. Built now but going to enjoy a beer so will leak check tomorrow but won't be brewing for a few days as I'm working the weekend.

Great let us know how it goes.

What are you brewing for your first endeavour?

I did my maiden brew on Saturday. In general I found it an easy system to use, a few notes of interest below:
1. It took about 30mins to heat 20l from 20deg to 68deg which I thought was good. Heated with the pump on and both elements.

2. mashed in 4.5kg and let the grain settle for 10mins before setting pump going. Measured the top of the mash temperature and it was 63deg for a while, but was aiming for 66deg, so set the temperature to 68deg for a bit to get the temp up.

3. The recirculation was initially slow, so I gave the grain a stir and seemed to take a higher flow after that. Was a bit of a pain taking the overflow off and the top screen, and a bit of grain went down the overflow. Not sure if there is a fix to this.

4. Sparge was easy, and drained well, although I couldn't see my total volume. Only way to see it was to get my wife to look at the gauge whilst I lifted the grain basket. A bit annoying but worked OK. A sight glass would be useful.

5. When boil started very nearly boiled over, I just got there in time with a spray bottle and knocked it down, but was very close!

6. Decided not to use the hop basket, and just chucked the pellets in. However used the hop basket during the chill too help filter the pump outlet, this collected a lot of hop material and basically blocked.

7. The pump blocked a few times during the chill, but I found if I switched it off whilst holding the plastic tube up high the back flow cleared the blockage.

8. It took 30mins to cool to 23deg, and used a lot of water. This was using the stainless immersion chiller. I've got a homemade copper immersion chiller, so might try this one next time, or might invest in a counterflow chiller sometime.

Despite the above I loved the experience and ended up with 23l of 1.053 wort which is happily bubbling away. Fingers crossed it tastes good!

Apologies for the long post! Thought it might be useful to someone.

A sight glass would be useful

Agreed. I looked into it but couldn't find a good uk stockist. I wouldn't mind altering the unit, but saw a video on someone installing a clear hose in place of the stainless steel pipe for the pump. It looks dead easy. Think I'd prefer a proper sight glass though.

I did my maiden brew on Saturday. In general I found it an easy system to use, a few notes of interest below:
Excellent report, thanks. Why not fill it from your domestic hot water? That's what I do. It's sterile, but the chlorine's already driven off and, if your boiler is gas you will save money. And it's quick!

Excellent report, thanks. Why not fill it from your domestic hot water? That's what I do. It's sterile, but the chlorine's already driven off and, if your boiler is gas you will save money. And it's quick!

Good point. I have a hot water tank so never seen it as being sterile before. You would still have to use Campden tablet to get rid of chloroamines wouldn't you? It took me a bit of time to sort the grain out so I don't think it would save me that much time, but yes I suppose it would be cheaper. Nice tip thanks

The amount of chlorine in UK mains water is tiny at the consumer. When water is heated most will be driven off. If you are curious why not measure the chlorine level in some cooled water from your hot tap? I reckon a DPD test for free chlorine will be zero. I'll be interested to hear from all-grain brewers as I still do mostly extract.

The amount of chlorine in UK mains water is tiny at the consumer. When water is heated most will be driven off. If you are curious why not measure the chlorine level in some cooled water from your hot tap? I reckon a DPD test for free chlorine will be zero. I'll be interested to hear from all-grain brewers as I still do mostly extract.
Does that include chloroamine as well? And wouldnt it be total chlorine we are interested, not free chlorine?

Free chlorine does not include chloramines. You could test for these with DPD2 tablets.

3. The recirculation was initially slow, so I gave the grain a stir and seemed to take a higher flow after that. Was a bit of a pain taking the overflow off and the top screen, and a bit of grain went down the overflow. Not sure if there is a fix to this.

4. Sparge was easy, and drained well, although I couldn't see my total volume. Only way to see it was to get my wife to look at the gauge whilst I lifted the grain basket. A bit annoying but worked OK. A sight glass would be useful.

5. When boil started very nearly boiled over, I just got there in time with a spray bottle and knocked it down, but was very close!

3. Leave your top screen off and stir every 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Keg Land sell a sight glass, you may be able to get it off their Chinese web site.
5. Get some distilling conditioner, one capful is all you need to prevent boilovers.

I had my first brewzilla brew day. Mostly went well apart from a couple of small mishaps.
Anyway the principal question now is does anyone have tips on the best way to clean everything after the brewing is finished?

Latest posts

Back