Buffalo 40L pre purchase question for existing owners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wontigonk

Reaction score
Hi

I would be grateful for some prepurchase advice regarding the Buffalo 40 L cc193 boiler as at http://www.nisbets.co.uk/asset/en/media/user manual cc190_cc191_cc192_cc193_ml_a5_v4.pdf

I am currently using an old Swan urn boiler with a 3 kW exposed element. Ignoring the problems with reliability (it isn't!), I have found it difficult to achieve a rolling boil, perhaps because it is quite tall and narrow, and tends to boil over easily. I brew to 25L, but if I go over 18L in the boiler I lose wort over the sides. That means I have to limit my sparge, so I am wasting precious fermentables.......

Additionally, it has a control knob which does not seem to affect temperature, just how often it comes to the boil before cutting out for a while.

My questions regarding the Buffalo 40L are:

Does it have a covered element (I believe so but haven't seen any pictures of the inside)?

Does the illustrated "temperature control knob” do what it says on the tin? I'd like to be able to control temperature for preparing my mash and sparge water, as opposed to my current "turn it off when it gets hot enough” method.

Does it achieve a good rolling boil without boiling over with around 30L wort?

Any info from current owners would be most welcomed

Many thanks

The issue with all tea urn/boilers is the basic temp/thermostat control,
look to a offboard electronic temp controller or a variac/regavolt type setup.

The buffalo does seem to have some issues with scorching due to the covered element also the thermo fuse & cutout can be a little frustrating.

Not an owner but done a lot of reading on boilers for other uses.

Hi, I have been using a Buffalo 40L boiler for a year now, yes you can achieve a good rolling boil,and does not boil over, it does have a covered element and the
"temperature control knob” does what it says on the tin.I also bought mine from Nisbits.

Back