Buffalo Boiler keeping BIAB off of the element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus Jack

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently got a B condition 40l Buffalo Boiler from Nisbets for £85 'ish delivered. Tested it boiling 40l seems to work fine, looks brand new to me.

However, I'll be BIAB'ing and want to find a good cheap way to keep the bag off of the element :hmm: . I wish it to be at least 6 cm off the element as I also wish to fit a temperature gauge.

Appreciate any ideas? :thumb:

Cheers All. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simplest and cheapest answer is not to use anything, just don't apply heat while the bag is in the boiler - bring to strike temperature, add bag, add grain, insulate and leave - you shouldn't lose too much heat over a typical mash timescale. This is what I do. If you're planning a more complex mash profile it gets more complicated of course and then ideally you'd need something to hold the bag off the element. A wire cake stand or upturned wire basket might do the trick, it will need to be fairly robust though.

I use a stainless veg steamer pan insert from ikea. Also trying a pizza tray with holes in from wilkos I think, with some stainless marine u bolts to keep it off the element.

I BIAB and successfully use one of these, its a SS fruit bowl, as you can see every 2nd pair of spokes are bent in order to keep the bowl in the centre of the boiler, up end and off you go.
DSC00057_zps3c3e2f06.jpg

Cheers LeithR, subfaction, andyd for the responses.

andyd, I will be step mashing as have had some great success controlling the body of my beer (also some not so successful). I'm looking at fitting a 90 degree bend at the top to allow for circulation of the wort via a pump and maybe whirl pooling later. I have been looking at cake stands etc. but am finding it hard to find something to fit a diameter of 36 - 38cm.

subfaction, cheers for that I'll check Ikea and Wilkos.

LeithR, is the fruit bowl used in a 40l buffalo? If so do you know where you got it?

Again :cheers: all :thumb:

No, its used in my 32L boiler
DSC00056_zpsac314a28.jpg

it fits perfectly for our purpose. I got it at a car boot sale for 10p but it probably originally came from IKEA.

p.s. the dia of the pot is 29cm.

Hi All,

Recently got a B condition 40l Buffalo Boiler from Nisbets for �£85 'ish delivered. Tested it boiling 40l seems to work fine, looks brand new to me.

However, I'll be BIAB'ing and want to find a good cheap way to keep the bag off of the element :hmm: . I wish it to be at least 6 cm off the element as I also wish to fit a temperature gauge.

Appreciate any ideas? :thumb:

Cheers All. :cheers:

Not sure how cheap you mean but I very successfully used this in a 30l (roughly 40cm diameter) pot:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10067/Grand-Remoska®-Rack

A tenner but it was the only thing I could find that had the height I needed to clear the hop bazooka in my pan.

Latest posts

Back