Bulk storage of Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowdave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made a handful of Beaverdale wine kits and been very happy with the results.
I have only made the 6 bottle kits and bottled the wines after clearing.

I'm looking to make a 30 bottle kit next and wonder if there is a good bulk storage and serving system - wine boxes etc? or is there something better?

I always make 30 bottle kits and always bottle them using screw top bottles and novatwist caps Novatwist Reusable Plastic Screw Caps For Wine Bottles.

I use a little bottler cane in the end of my syphon tube which makes bottling a lot less of a chore, if your FV has a hole or you don't mind cutting one you can use the tap part as well (i didn't want to drill as knowing my luck it would leak)

Some members have used bag in a box but as they are rarely discussed here i guess bottling is easier and bottles take up less room in your fridge.

I got some 5l bags in boxes from Jars and things. Had them a while now, paid £23.30 including delivery for 10. Was £12.10 for 5 delivered in you don't need as many

Cheers. Tom

I've tried the bag-in-a-box things. My experience didn't go well but maybe some get on better with them.

First attempt at using one I kept the bag inside the box to support it but didn't have the fancy Perspex sheet shown in the video above. I manged to spill some wine onto the box immediately turning it to mush. Not good. Another attempt I decided not to keep the bag in the box but instead put it in a bucket. Upon removing the full bag to give it a wipe over and put it in the box I noticed the pin-hole leak in the bag squirting wine everywhere. Not sure if it was already like this before I started or if I somehow caused it but had to frantically transfer the contents into another bag. Pretty much gave up on them after that concluding that bottling really wasn't that much more hassle especially with a bottling bucket, little bottle and using the Nova Twist caps mentioned above.

I think the more robust bag-in-box / Vinotainer / Poly Pin type things might be worth considering: Vinotainer 2 Gallon 10lts - The Homebrew Company

I also now have three pressure barrels sat around doing nothing since moving over to Corny kegs for beer. I've had thoughts about using them for wine storage.

We store our kits in 5l bottles until we're looking to open one up. I then tip into a bag in a box with a spout.

When we first started we bottled into 2 litre spring water bottles which saved a bit of time I now use glass screw top 750ml bottles it's a chore filling them but once it's done it's a while before I need to repeat the chore again.

I rack off and clear my wines in a PB. As it's sealed I can age in there for a while and bottle when I've time. You can normally get a good few sample glasses out before it wants to take in air.

Latest posts

Back