Calories

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior1

Reaction score
Hi guys a quick question. Are there more or less calories in homebrew beer compared to the beer we buy in supermarkets or have in a pub

Hi guys a quick question. Are there more or less calories in homebrew beer compared to the beer we buy in supermarkets or have in a pub
It all depends on the amount of sugar in the wort and to a slight degree other disolved contents but generally a like for like brew would have the same calories with a low alcohol dry beer having the least calories.

Of the order of 180 kcal in an average lager up to maybe 250 in something strong n dark.

There should be few sugars left unfermented, almost no fats, very little salt, up to 5% soluble fibre plus B vitamins.

All good so far its just that nasty poisonous ethanol ...........

Aamcle

Great reply guys was told the beer in supermarkets are a lot more calories than our brews

Great reply guys was told the beer in supermarkets are a lot more calories than our brews

On the whole, this will be incorrect. There are calories in residual sugars as well, but the ethanol content will provide most of the calories in a beer. Homebrewers are not taxed on the ABV of their beer, but breweries are. So HB is likely to be a bit stronger in some cases.

Click this http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

When you put in your OG and FG it tells you underneath the calories per 12oz was to work out

Interesting I have used that calculator a lot but never really noticed the calories before.

The calculator only seems to calculate the calories from the remaining sugar in the beer. If you set the FG to 1.0 then it says it's a zero calorie beer. However alcohol has 7 calories per gram and the calculator doesn't appear to take that into account.

Regarding the calories in the alcohol itself it's not clear how many should be counted as a lot may actually be peed out in the form of acetic acid.

The thing that made me realise how much food equivalent my beer was came about when I was making an IPA that needed 6kg of grain for 23 litres. The grain filled a large 12 litre stockpot and half filled my boiler. Since the brewing process takes out most of the nutritional value of the grain, that big pile of barley is a pretty clear indicator of how much 'food' beer represents.

I work on the basis of 200 calories a half litre for my IPA type brews. That's two miles walking per 500ml drunk to keep the weight off. A twelve stone man burns about a hundred calories a mile of brisk walking. If you ride a bike at 12mph it is 3 miles per hundred so that's six miles bicycling for one half litre of decent beer. No wonder I had to go on a diet this year!

The thing that made me realise how much food equivalent my beer was came about when I was making an IPA that needed 6kg of grain for 23 litres. The grain filled a large 12 litre stockpot and half filled my boiler. Since the brewing process takes out most of the nutritional value of the grain, that big pile of barley is a pretty clear indicator of how much 'food' beer represents.

I work on the basis of 200 calories a half litre for my IPA type brews. That's two miles walking per 500ml drunk to keep the weight off. A twelve stone man burns about a hundred calories a mile of brisk walking. If you ride a bike at 12mph it is 3 miles per hundred so that's six miles bicycling for one half litre of decent beer. No wonder I had to go on a diet this year!

My commute home is 15miles cycling so I can drink a little over 1L of beer. I also save the train fare home. Fantastic! I knew beer was good for me :grin:

Latest posts

Back