Camp den tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stately1967

Reaction score
Will hopefully be making around 11 gallons of cider in gallon Demi johns can anyone tell me how many/much camp den tablet I should use in each jar before I add yeast 24 hours later?

The way I understand campden tablets is that you add them at the end not the start, I'm not sure if your yeast would take if you add yeast to a brew with them in.

Are you not thinking about sanitiser to clean your demijohns before you put your brew in ?

I am sure someone more clued up will be along soon but I think you add some initialy as well to kill off the wild yeasts, before adding your selected strain I could be wrong though, I'm no cider expert, having never made any.

With any real fruit that you're steeping or mashing in some way, you typically add Campden at the rate of 1 per gallon at the start to inhibit wild yeasts and other unpleasantnesses.
You want to give it at least 24 hours before pitching your own yeast - the Campden probably wouldn't kill it completely, but it'll mess it up.
With wine, I add a Campden whenever I rack, to mitigate any oxidation.
Beer and cider want a bit of bottle (or keg or whatever) conditioning so I don't add any to them at the end.

stately1967 said:
Will hopefully be making around 11 gallons of cider in gallon Demi johns can anyone tell me how many/much camp den tablet I should use in each jar before I add yeast 24 hours later?
If you are making your cider from apples and not supermarket apple juice, you will need to use either Campden tablets or Sodium Metabisulphite (what Campden tablets are made from).
As has already been said, it will get rid of any wild yeast, but more importantly, will prevent the juice from oxidising.
Ideally a 1% Sod met spray should be used at the apple scratting stage!
Yeast (not wild) is quite tollerant of Sulphur dioxide, such that you can dose up to 450 mg/ltr (9 CTs per gallon).
Much higher and the yeast will inhibit, but will resume working when the SO2 level reduces.
For clear cider you will also need a pectin enzyme.

Latest posts

Back