Can anyone recommend a decent auto siphon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just had a proper mare with my siphon getting stuck and having to keep sucking on a tap to get the thing going again. Would rather not have to do that again. A few yrs back i did buy an autosiphon but chucked it as it was ****, kept bubbling and getting stuck, in hindsight it was prob a bit cheap n nasty. I dont mind paying a bit more for sonething decent and reliable, any recommendations welcome!

Nope, in my experience they are all a pile of *****, for the reasons you state above they probably ruin more beer than just tipping it out of your fermenter would. Get taps on your fermenters and attach tubes to them, no need for sucking and no oxidisation.

p.s I gave up after trying 3 different ones, but they were all the same in their faults.

I had the same trouble as you, I tried a few different types and they all let tonnes of air in or randomly stopped.

The newest one I got is a dream, starts up after 1 or 2 pumps and just chugs away without a bubble in sight for the whole transfer, it doesn't even glug when it's finished.

I got mine from Amazon (bigger jugs) but after looking they are sold out. I'm 99% sure it's just this one but priced hogher.:
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/44cm-easy-start-auto-syphon
Hope this helps

Filled four bottles with mine and tossed it. Thing sucked air in like a vacuum cleaner.

Went right back to my 20+ year old home made copper racking cane. Why I ever thought to change I have no idea.

All the Best,
D. White

Thanks guys. I think from now on i will only buy FVs with taps on but love that home made T siphon idea

I use an ordinary flexible tube with a rigid cane and trap on the end. There was an inline tap fitted in the tube originally but after one attempt at using it, it went in the bin. I can fill all of my bottles with minimal spillage as I transfer from one bottle to another. Position the discharge end of the tube in the bottle right and no splashing. And I can easily get down to the last few dregs above the trub by moving the trap, helped along by a block of wood to tilt the FV at the end . But the biggest single improvement to this was to use a clip to fix the top of the tube to the FV rim. I originally made one from two clothes pegs and some wire, then bought one but it was rubbish, so I went back to my homemade one.
All very easy and manageable. No leaky taps or poorly functioning autosiphons to worry about, and no conundrum of how to get the last litre or so of beer out of the FV without disturbing the trub which would otherwise have been below the tap line.

Last edited:
I have a great Italian made one that's available in three sizes. I chose the medium size as it's easier to manage and clean. It does reach to the bottom of my 25l fv. can't remember where I bought it from though :(

Just had a proper mare with my siphon getting stuck and having to keep sucking on a tap to get the thing going again. Would rather not have to do that again. A few yrs back i did buy an autosiphon but chucked it as it was ****, kept bubbling and getting stuck, in hindsight it was prob a bit cheap n nasty. I dont mind paying a bit more for sonething decent and reliable, any recommendations welcome!

I got mine from Love Brewing and haven’t had any problems with it, apart from it wearing out after 2 years and taking a few pumps to get started. Got another now and normality is restored just one or two pumps and it’s away.

I bought one from Beer Hawk. It’s really well made and is much better than all the previous ones I have bought. It takes a little longer as the bore is smaller, but other than that it’s really good. I have had it for a couple of years now and no problems so far.

As good a place as any to avoid a needless thread.... Does anyone know what temp an auto syphon and associated vinyl tubing will be good for?

Latest posts

Back