Can this be made?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celsius

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to live near a German Tap Haus and it's fast becoming like a church to me. Over 100 beers and 28 draft beers on the menu and i'm steadily getting through them.:whistle:

I came across this last night and wondered if the all grain boys had managed to brew anything similar? It was an amazing beer.

13699939_10153862557273719_3857650909258839641_n.jpg

It's beers like this and strong Belgian abbey beers that got me into home brewing!

Super strong beers are a bit more of a challenge than your usual 5% beers. They need lots of yeast (notice the recipe uses 5 packs!) and plenty of oxygen to attenuate fully otherwise you end up with an overly sweet high fg. Ideally you would use pure O2 through a diffusion stone at the start and again 12-24 hours after yeast pitching.

You also need big equipment! The grain bill will be around 12kg for a (UK) 5 gal batch. In fact you are probably best going even higher and using first runnings only, the second runnings can be used to make a weaker stout.

I've brewed this before and it came out really well.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-blues-ten-fidy/68107/

It's beers like this and strong Belgian abbey beers that got me into home brewing!

Super strong beers are a bit more of a challenge than your usual 5% beers. They need lots of yeast (notice the recipe uses 5 packs!) and plenty of oxygen to attenuate fully otherwise you end up with an overly sweet high fg. Ideally you would use pure O2 through a diffusion stone at the start and again 12-24 hours after yeast pitching.

You also need big equipment! The grain bill will be around 12kg for a (UK) 5 gal batch. In fact you are probably best going even higher and using first runnings only, the second runnings can be used to make a weaker stout.

I've brewed this before and it came out really well.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-blues-ten-fidy/68107/

Sounds great, the bill you suggest is probably why it was £6.30 a bottle! :thumb:

I'm lucky enough to live near a German Tap Haus and it's fast becoming like a church to me. Over 100 beers and 28 draft beers on the menu and i'm steadily getting through them.:whistle:

I came across this last night and wondered if the all grain boys had managed to brew anything similar? It was an amazing beer.

View attachment 6092

I'm still struggling with the "£6.30 a bottle" but I now have great hopes for this brew! Partial Mash though.

BARLEY WINE
Started 2nd March 2016
Recipe:
1.0 kg Black Malt
0.8 kg Chocolate Malt
0.8 kg Crystal Malt
0.5 kg Belgian Candi Syrup
0.8 kg Dextrose
0.8 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light

50 grams of Hallertaus Hops
Yeast German Ale (by Muntons) GV-12 22 grams.
Boil Size 10 litres
Batch Size 9 litres
Method:
Mash for 60 minutes at 70 degrees with 3 litres of water.
Sparge with 3 litres of water at 75 degrees.
Add Syrup, Dextrose and DME with enough water to make 10 litres of wort.
Add hops and boil for 45 minutes until batch size is down to 9 litres.
Strain off wort into two DJ's
At 20 degrees check and record OG, pitch yeast, fit air-lock and place in FV cupboard.
When fermentation stops mix two DJs in bottling bucket, check and record FG, add priming sugar & bottle in small bottles.
OG 1.112 FG 1.032 ABV 10.6%
Bottled 4th June 2016
Verdict - Initial tasting in June terrible (too much dark chocolate flavour) so jury still out!

It definitely tastes of chocolate so I live in hope that it might get to be worth more than 10p bottle as a slug killer! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi. Are you sure that's the correct recipe? Doesn't look like anywhere near enough LME. That's a huge amount of Black and Chocolate!

Hi. Are you sure that's the correct recipe? Doesn't look like anywhere near enough LME. That's a huge amount of Black and Chocolate!

It's definitely the correct recipe. Unfortunately!

I wanted to use up all my malts and hops before going away for three months so decided to make a Barley Wine that could ferment whilst we were away.

I succeeded in Plan A and used up all the malt and hops but ...

... Plan B to turn it into a chocolate flavoured Barley Wine, is still "Work in Progress".

At the moment the bottles are out of sight tucked away under the work-surfaces in a plastic bin and won't be touched until just before Christmas.

After tasting at Christmas I will either be handing it out as presents, putting it back for another six months or looking at where to pour it in the garden!

Its in the lap of the beer Gods; but I cannot recommend the recipe and I'm not all that hopeful that it will improve enough to be worth £6.30 a bottle! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back