Can you leave rhubarb to steep for too long?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equinox101

Reaction score
Is there a point where u shouldn't have rhubarb steeping any longer? Most recipes say around 4 days that I've seen, not seen anything that doesn't say not to leAve it longer, I've had some steeping for 9 days now, it's softened right up which I think is good, doesn't look off colour or anything.

steeping in what? bacterial infection might be an issue but if it's airtight you're probably fine. not sure how fresh it will taste though!

Jut in water treated with a campden tablet, it smells nice and looks fine. No off notes on the smell. Next stage would be to add a little participate of chalk and then prep for yeast.

It is 4 days so that you don't extract too high levels of acid from the rhubarb. At 9 days if you just add sugar and yeast you will have a VERY acid brew. when you add the chalk this will neutralise the acid, it will fizz a lot and I think you may need to use quite a lot.

alanywiseman said:
It is 4 days so that you don't extract too high levels of acid from the rhubarb. At 9 days if you just add sugar and yeast you will have a VERY acid brew. when you add the chalk this will neutralise the acid, it will fizz a lot and I think you may need to use quite a lot.

+1.. my main concern would be oxalic acid in the brew.

Oxalic acid is not a problem in Rhubarb stalks as long as you remove the leaves and the white foot of the rhubarb stem, the predominant acid is malic - same as in cooking apples and thats fairly low between 1% and 2%.

In his 1982 book Ben Turner recommends steeping for 24 hrs along with chopped sultanas and the rind of 1 orange. After 24hrs add a champagne yeast, nutrient and leave for a further 5 days keeping the fruit submerged (use a dinner plate lying on top of the fruit).

LeithR said:
Oxalic acid is not a problem in Rhubarb stalks as long as you remove the leaves and the white foot of the rhubarb stem, the predominant acid is malic

Yep, CJJ Berry mentions that in his book - the leaves are poisonous to eat due to the oxalic acid, so you wouldn't brew with them, but the stalks are fine. Just like potato leaves are poisonous (same family of plants as deadly nightshade, IIRC) but the spuds are edible!

Back