Cardinal hops from geterbrewd

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
Anyone used the cardinal hops from the geterbrewed give away yet?

Just looked in my brewing box and I have the full packet still.

Going to pop to the local HB tomorrow and get some base malt. MO probably.

I have some cara red and some smoked malts in stock. Not decided what I'm going to use yet. But would like to use the cardinal hops.

Any input very welcome :-)

I used mine with some styrian goldings in a pale ale.. its nice and plesant. with gervin.

It is a little bit earthier than I expected but that could be the styrian, not that it is a problem.. The cardinal gives it a fruity flavour. The aroma doesn't smack you in the face but that could be what I have said about Gervin ;)..

The only hops I haven't So far (still maybe could do with some more time to condityion perhaps) been totally in love with was the Eureka , doing a smash with them they part more of a creaminess than a flavour.. the flavours are more herby than fruity.. Maybe a hop that needs an accomplice.

I'll check my stocks to see what I car pair it with.

Had my head in the brewing elements yeast book since coming back from steak lunch at a local country pub with SWMBO

Just having a pint of my pale ale I made with this, Wolf and Eureka. It's like a restrained fruity hoppy beers and more English than US.

A nice change from US hops, but definitely not a replacement.

The taste mellowed quite a bit with this one over time, I used it with a bit of wolf earlier in the boil and to me anyway it gave a very strong strawberry aroma and taste. Some other people who tried it got the strawberry aroma but not the flavour and others didn't get strawberry at all! One of those peculiarities of different taste buds I guess. I didn't really like it at first but have warmed to it as the beer has aged

Yeah I agree. I did an IPA with Cardinal and wolf and it wasn't bursting flavour but was a subtle flowery/berry flavour and aroma. What I thought would compliment it would be a hint of a citrus/pine hop to lift it all. Maybe a chinook, simcoe, mosaic. or even a bit of cascade/citra if you want a real punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm brewing a Belgian IPA at the moment which uses 100g each of Cascade and Cardinal. I bittered to 80 IBU with Chinook and Nugget and then used 40g each of Cascade and Cardinal for late hops and flame out additions and then 60g each for dry hop.

My initial impression was that the Cardinal wasn't as intense as the Cascade but was pleasant and a bit fruity.

I'm pretty familiar with Cascade so I hope I'll be able to tell the difference. The unknown factor is the Belgian yeast which might make it tricky to give a clear assessment.

The dry hops have been in for 2 weeks and I had hoped to bottle already but my missus is two days away from finishing her MA thesis, so I have been well and truly banned from doing anything that might interupt her (like bottling).

I'm thinking of a brew with MO base. Carared also. Red for the hope of strawberry.

I think i've ran out of chocolate malt. Although I may have a 100-250g of crystal.

I also have the whole pack of eureaka hops. 9.9% AA. From geterbrewed.

Going to re pitch the west coast MJ yeast for the 3rd time.

Made 1.038 wort earlier. Flask, chilled, stir plate etc etc.

Will see what it looks like tomorrow and decide if it can handle a 4th round.

IMAG2750.jpg

I owe someone a shot of the dogs dinner inside that box.

Im also going to try the two plastic bottle culture method. Well until I have enough yeast then ill probly put it on the stir plate.

I owe someone a shot of the dogs dinner inside that box.

Im also going to try the two plastic bottle culture method. Well until I have enough yeast then ill probly put it on the stir plate.

Use the stir plate straight of the bat. The two plastic bottle method is just for those who don't have a stir plate. Stir plates create loads more yeast then just shaking

Back