Cars

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbloke

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a RAV4 (somewhere between 2007-2010)
Tell me why I shouldn't.
Tell me about the Hyundai Tucson (ix35?) and the Nissan Qashqia
And other similar stuff.

I can think of no good reason not to get one. A mate of mine is on his second one and loves them. If it's the right size of car for you then thats the one I would get.

Lots of people think it's trendy to knock larger cars and crossovers (in some cases rightly so - driving half a mile for the school run lol) but in many cases they totally the right type of car. I had a Land Rover Discovery, I've now got a Nissan X-Trail. Loved them both. So versatile, handy for loading up for dump runs, family days out, collecting large items for house etc etc. I'm also a scout leader and member of 4x4 response so they are brilliant for those voluntary activities too.

my dad has had smaller 4x4 of a few years. hes go a 2 kia sportage one a x reg and the other 55 reg(a ix35 in a diffrent suit) he loves them both the older one is the work horse the only thing i will say getting workshop manules is not easy and parts can be hard to find.
next year he will replace the x reg with another one as his is getting to the point where we cant do the work (needs 3 new brake lines)

both are better than his old lada niva that he used to drive

It's a Toyota, so it will not go wrong, well, not very and not often anyway :)

It doesn't drink too much juice, it's not a 'pukka' off roader, don't try more than a gentle green lane, but it will handle the white stuff within reason as long as you remember it still has to stop :)

If I wasn't: -

a) skint as a skint thing
b) the owner of a car kitted out with snow kit

then I'd look for summat like that as my runabout :)

Whats your budget?
I agree the toyota would/should be very reliable, decent in the snow and not brilliant off road.
If thats what youre after its a good choice. I personally would avoid the nissan.
If your budget can stretch to it you should consider the skoda yeti 4x4. badge snobbery aside, its a great car, all VW parts, well built and reliable and the diesels give good economy too.

Budget is... negotiable. I've normally spent 5 to 6 k on a 3 to 5 yr old saloon with 30 to 50 k miles on it, kept it until it's done another 60k miles or I've broken it badly.
This time I could go up to say 13k but don't really want to go past 10, and even that much seems too much - it's just a car after all.
RAV4s at 8 or 9 k seem to be available at not too old a vintage or too high a mileage. Think I'll try to find one to test drive.

Back