CBC/Meantime/The Malt Miller British IPA Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine now after a week is still not clearing but the hops are now at the fore which it should with 325g of them. One more week and we’ll see what happens.

FE852420-FD66-4023-BC1A-B0E91B3F79F1.jpeg

I. Really struggling to get anything out of my dry hops. I have 175g in what is now 15L and it's fine. Just really subtle.
I’ve kegged mine and just sampled it after a week and it’s very subtle too. I’ve got an American IPA with similar IBU and hop amounts but complete difference in hop aroma. Not sure about the Olicana…

I’ve kegged mine and just sampled it after a week and it’s very subtle too. I’ve got an American IPA with similar IBU and hop amounts but complete difference in hop aroma. Not sure about the Olicana…
Me too, 350g of hops altogether... Do get a strong marmalade/orange peel taste, I think from the Jester but not as aromatic as a similar (or smaller) amount of US hops.

1668694134832.png

Me too, 350g of hops altogether... Do get a strong marmalade/orange peel taste, I think from the Jester but not as aromatic as a similar (or smaller) amount of US hops.
Admiral can give strong orange marmalade taste when used late. I use that in my english IPA's and love the flavor it brings. A great UK hop that one.. Never used Jester/Olicana (yet!)

Personally I'm starting to think that the new British hops are a marketing ploy. They can't handle anything but light malt flavours. I've put 275g in the dry hop of olicana and cf184 with aromazyme and getting nothing back. I'm using plumage archer and crystal heritage malts.

Quite surprised by some of the comments here.

I dry hopped with 160g of Olicana, Harlequin and Ernest and am getting some really nice fruity aromas and flavours. More apricot/peach than big citrus flavours and definitely more subtle than you'd get from US hops. There's also a bit of the traditional floral/spice notes you get from UK hops.

I don't think you'll ever get the same punch from UK hops that you would from US hops though.

Back