Infrared Thermometer for pizza oven

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzie

Reaction score
hi - I am looking for an infrared thermometer to check my pizza oven. My first try was a disaster and I think I did not let the oven reach temperature.
Do you use a thermometer or do you just wait for 25 - 20 mins ?
Many thanks G

Probably not the cheapest but the old saying you get what you pay for may fit -
https://thermapen.co.uk/digital-oven-thermometers/243-pizza-oven-thermometer.html#:~:text=The Pizza IR pizza oven,the perfect pizza base finish.

1714494279170.png

☝️ I have one that looks like that, but is yellow and a cheap chinese brand. So £15 rather than £40.

Look at the roof, if it is sooty it is not hot enough, you will see it turn white when ready.

Once the fire is to the sides, you could throw a small amount (double finger pinch) of flour in. It should go 'pooof' in a very satisfying way. If you do this too slowly you will also lose the hair on the back of your hand.... Another good sign😁👍🏻

I have ir gun, but never use it now.

Thanks for the info - I have looked at the Thermometer above and noticed it has a +/- 4C tolerance - must admit I didn't think about this spec - just looked at the temperature range !! I will keep looking to see if there is one with a better spec. G

Got one from B&Q and works a treat. Also use it to measure the surface temp of my mash and the temp distribution at the surface of my boil and hopstands/whirlpool.

Back