Cheapest full bodied red wine kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Just curious, what do you guys think are the cheapest full bodied red wine kits?

Cellar 7s and Beaverdales sadly don't even come close in my opinion. On the house kits are very very close. But the cheapest full bodied red kits that I've found so far are the Winexpert classic kits for around £50.

Any others?

I'm drinking my Beaverdale Rojo Tinto right now. I brewed it short - 26 bottles instead of 30. It's been maturing for almost a year and a half now and is gorgeous. It's a winner with friends and family too. I have to be honest though, for the first 6 months in the bottle, it wasn't the best, and I thought I'd screwed it up somehow. I tried a bottle again after a year and was pleasantly surprised. it's even better now.

I'm drinking my Beaverdale Rojo Tinto right now. I brewed it short - 26 bottles instead of 30. It's been maturing for almost a year and a half now and is gorgeous. It's a winner with friends and family too. I have to be honest though, for the first 6 months in the bottle, it wasn't the best, and I thought I'd screwed it up somehow. I tried a bottle again after a year and was pleasantly surprised. it's even better now.

I did notice the Beaverdales Rojo Tinto was recently back in stock at my usual HBS. Out of the Beaverdales I haven't actually tried this one! It's always great when a wine matures and tastes so much better after a year. To be fair, most wine kits do good with at least a year of aging.

Would you say it's a good full bodied red wine though? I've done two of the red Beaverdale kits so far and both gone down the toilet. Very watery and little body.

I've been exclusively brewing Winexpert kits since then as they truly do compare to a £20 supermarket bottle. Full bodied red. Though as said the On the house kits are very very close to a full bodied red and only about £10 more than the Beaverdales.

Was just wondering if there was any other wine kit brands which give a full bodied red wine. I've seen good prices on Cantina and various wineworks kits. Though no idea what kinda result they give!

On my reds I'm never happy to skimp on quality. I've tried all sorts of cheap red kits like the Solomon Grundy and winebuddy kits. Which all taste and look like a cheap rose wine with food colouring!

In my opinion, this beaverdale rojo tinto has a good body to it. I did make it short to improve that body though. I took a couple of bottles to a friends a few weeks ago. One of the bottles was supposed to be a gift for his dad, but my friends enjoyed it so much, we drank the second bottle too!

Other than The Range MYO Medium Red (which was ok, but a bit thin) I've not brewed any other kits, so can't really help you any more unfortunately. I will probably get another Beaverdale kit though.

That's the way to make a beaverdale kit; a couple of litres short and you're there. No need to do this with WE; far more juice in the bag. There really is nowt for owt and you do get what you pay for. Kits such as Solomon Grundy ought to be sold as drain cleaner but maybe some just want the cheapest hit they can get.

I think you will struggle for a full bodied at the cheaper end, the only suggestion is what has been said brew them short to give more body to the wine as the same as brewing beer to give it more body

Back