Cheeky Vimto/Cider Turkish Style?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Guys N Gals,

Just a couple of questions, going to give the above a bash.
Not got Vimto but i got hold of some Bilberry concentrate (Turkish) 1 Ltr, And 3 Ltrs of Pure Apple Juice (Turkish again) and they both say on the Cartons/bottles they are concentrate - so I'm thinking i can dilute this lot to make 10 Ltrs.??
Plan is to Boil it for 15-20 mins to drive off any preservatives then make up to 10 ltrs and add 1kg sugar and pitch in some Cider yeast?
Does that sound ok or should i use champagne yeast instead?
May even bung in a smidge of cinnamon?

Hoping to have it drinkable by xmas or New year = Thoughts Please
Cheers Scream

Got his on the go now - SG was 1055 to start - made up a starter with some juice and half a sachet of youngs cider yeast. Diluted the concentrates up to 10 ltrs and its now merrily bubbling away.
This is a first for me so also noticed the yeasties are bottom fermenting as far as i can see - i presume this is normal tho'??

Love to get my hands on bilberry concentrate! If the sg is 55 with 1 kg of sugar at 10 litres, it suggests this is not concentrate. Normally fruit juice contains no preservatives. An sg of 55 should yield 7.5% alcohol and could not be guaranteed to keep for a year.

The SG of 55 was after i added the sugar it was 27 beforehand. All cartons stated concentrate too. Unless turkish concentrate is different than UK - lol u never know with this lot!
Plus i'm hoping to have it ready by Xmas or New year at the latest but it wouldnt last a year anyway :cheers: :party:

Back