Help with spur of the moment Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_pullin

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I did my first ale a few weeks ago, ever since iv had people i know giving me old equipment. Iv thrown most of it away but i kept the demijon's and decided to make some cider. I got 4lts of juice from Aldi the "not from concentrate" stuff and bunged a load of sugar (roughly 500g) in with some Champagne yeast. OG was 1082, i need help with the following;

1-Any body got a good way of taking a hydrometer reading in a demijon without disturbing the cider was thinking of sticking a bit of string to the hydrometer??
2-Should i leave it flat or should i carbonate?
3-If i carbonate how much priming sugar should i use? i will be using 500ml bottles

Well just want advice on what you suggest to do next? Its been in there well over 2 weeks now.

cheers

matt

1- turkey baster works but I wouldn't bother. Providing a tiny amount tastes dry and fermentation appears to have completed, you should be fine given a few days. Mess with it too much, and it can easily oxidize.

2) your choice! I would say fizzy, it'll be like apple champagne.

3) half tsp a bottle? Decent fizz. You don't need to worry about head on cider :)

Cheers Rob

I seem to have 2 of the same posts going here haha i take it i prime the same way i do for an ale? by that i mean to the bottle i add sugar - add cider - cap - store in warm place for 2 weeks - store in cold for minimum of 1 - enjoy :drink:

Latest posts

Back