Chest freezer to fermentation chamber

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
Hi guys, this may have been answered before but I've searched and found similar questions but not the exact info.

I'm considering buying a chest freezer to help insulate and maintain a decent fermentation temperature for my FV's. I'm recently moved house and the only space I can use now is my garage which the temperature fluctuates in quite wildly at times. Obviously not ideal for the fermentation stage.

As a side note, I'm terrible at DIY type jobs but I will probably enlist the help of an electrician friend.

I've read about the STC1000 controller which should keep the freezer under control but what is best to use as a heater?

Also, while chest freezers are more readily available compared to fridges, is there any downsides to trying to use one? More erratic temperature changes etc?

Any help would be greatly received.

Ta
Rocky :cheers:

Sorry for a newbie question but... can that be mounted safely inside and linked up to the STC1000?

Hello I am a newbie aswell and had the problem of crazy temps in an uninsulated shed. Just wired up a STC to the tubuler heaters their recommending on here they work a treat all you need is the 60w one. I used a fridge because of back problems lifting a 5 gal bucket out of a chest freezer. At last stabilized temps.

Is there not an issue with the freezer components that they don't handle regular switching from on and off, like a fridge can? Also I'm not sure how "warm" the freezer can cool to which may mean the heater is constantly kicking in?

If you were just using it like a giant insulated box it may be OK?

:cheers:

mattyhall22 said:
Is there not an issue with the freezer components that they don't handle regular switching from on and off, like a fridge can? Also I'm not sure how "warm" the freezer can cool to which may mean the heater is constantly kicking in?
That's not a problem as the STC will just switch off the freezer when it is cool enough. However, I've heard freezers are not ideal as they are not designed to operate warm and you end up with humidity problems, but I don't know if this is true or what it really means in practice.

rpt said:
However, I've heard freezers are not ideal as they are not designed to operate warm and you end up with humidity problems, but I don't know if this is true or what it really means in practice.

Sorry to quote you again :D But I understand the problem is rust caused by the humidity so you will need some sort of dehumidifier.

I have a chest freezer with STC1000 but it's now used for lagering and cold crashing, I have some mini dehumidifiers which need attention evey few weeks.

Back