Chilling after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edindie

Reaction score
I want to do a brew over Easter, but I've only just put one in the brewing fridge. Two weeks should be enough to finish fermenting (otherwise I’ll touch the temperature up a tad to ensure that it is) so that should free up the fridge for my next batch. Would there be anything wrong with putting the first brew on the cold garage floor(temp will be same as outside, so about 8-12 I’d imagine) for the two weeks that the next one is brewing before bottling and returning to the brew fridge to carbonate?

My thinking is that this drop in temp will allow more to fall out of suspension before bottling. However I once chilled a beer very fast and it never cleared and tasted horrible. Can you chill too fast or was it just coincidence?

If a beer gets too cold you get what is known as Chill Haze. I would not rush the ferment on the other beer if you ferment too high you will produce off tastes in the end product. One golden rule in quality brewing is patience so I would put the Easter brew off for a week or find a constantly warm room in the house to ferment the Easter brew.

Well, good news; this weekend's brew is down to 1.014 already from 1.038 3 days ago. So I shouldn't need to increase temp from 18 degrees.

Latest posts

Back