Chocolate malt amount

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevic

Reaction score
I realise it is probably down to personal taste but how much steeped chocolate malt would be considered to much in a 10l extract brew before it becomes unpleasant. Making a concoction before a few bits and bobs go out of date.

That rather depends also on whether its light or dark chocolate. I found dark chocolate malt to be a bit harsh/bitter and as a consequence have avoided using it in any quantity.
As you say, it's all personal taste and preference really and depends on what kind of brew you're making and the result you're after but if you use a lighter chocolate I think there's a lot more leeway. Why not start with say 50-100g and see how you like it?

In AG brews, its generally around 3-5%, for me brewing a 23L batch @ 5% ABV would be about 250g at most. I'd guess around 100g at most for you. You may want to use less!

For me, an absolute maximum is 5% of the grain bill.

More than that and I find that whatever I have brewed (stout, porter or mild ale) the taste of chocolate is so dominant that it shuts out almost all the other flavours except the bitterness of the hops.

I used to use up to 10%, but IIRC I brewed this Mikkeller recipe which used a lot more than that, came out really well. I will add the caveat that it was balanced against other malts, hops and was a vanilla coffee stout.

Latest posts

Back