citra ipa (i hope)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
so got my brother to pick me some bits up from the home brew shop and here is the plan. any advice as always is much appreciated

3kg light lme
10g citra @ 60
20g citra @ 30
30g citra @ 0
40g citra dry hop after 2 week for 5 days
english ale yeast

your thought please
thanks Al

Drop the 30 minute addition and use those as a hop tea.

Agree, hops added later mean more flavour and aroma.

Also dry hop with 4-5 days left before you bottle, most bottle after about 14 day which means dry hop about day 9 rather than after 14 days :thumb:

Single hop Citra IPA will be potent. Now I like a bit of Citra, so picked up a bottle of M&S single hop IPA Citra and bloody hell it was like drinking concentrated grapefruit juice with some pure lemon mixed through!

I've just brewed two Citra smashes, bottled last night.
One was with additions at every minute for 60 mins and the other with additions at 20, 10 and 1. Both bittered to 64 IBU's.
Early tasting looks like the 60 minute one is quite bitter, with less flavour and the 20, 10 and 1 one is icredibly smooth with loads of hops flavour - mango, lemon and tropical fruits.
What I'm saying is drop the 60 and 30 additions, chuck all hops in after 20 minutes to go and bitter to a level you like. Of course, that's if you want that Cloudwater type of thing.

I'd probably move all the hops to the end like TheRedDarren has done recently but at the minimum I'd move the 30 min addition to 10/15 mins, you'll get better flavour that way I reckon.

I've got my recipe for a citra pale with hops only added at flameout sorted, looking forward to seeing how that experiment turns out.

Single hop Citra IPA will be potent. Now I like a bit of Citra, so picked up a bottle of M&S single hop IPA Citra and bloody hell it was like drinking concentrated grapefruit juice with some pure lemon mixed through!

The m&s is brewed by Oakhams if I remember right, I was very disappointed when I tried it.

so in preparation for this iv been checking temps in the shed and iv noticed its been around 12-16 degrees. will this be a big problem or just slow fermentation

For my preference, I'd increase the hops at 60. I aim for about 8g per 10ltr brew, so for this I'd go about 25g.
My estimations would put the bittering around 40 IBU
Then 25g at 10 minutes
And another 25g at 80 degrees flame out for 15 minutes.

And then dry hop for added aroma.

Latest posts

Back