Clean bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve been cleaning my beer bottles as I’ve been enjoying their contents. And storing them in the garage. Could anyone advise me should I clean them again before sterilising on next bottling day.
Ps there swing tops an tops have been on loosely
Thanks

Perhaps leaving the lids on with a splash of starsan might be a good idea.
Mine get a good hot oxi with the bottle brush and starsan on the day.

Give them a rinse under the tap after pouring, to get rid of sediment. A few seconds work which will save you the ball ache of tring to shift stuborn stains later. But always clean properly before bottling up next time. Cleaning is a pain in the **** but it cannot be avoided, only shortened.

I rinse out after drinking then fill the bottles with a concentrated washing soda solution. Gets rid of all the stuck on yeast without the need to bottle brush them. Then I rinse again and stand them to drain and dry off for a few hours. I put a bit of clingfilm on them to keep dust out so that when it's time to bottle they're still clean.

i rinse my bottle well when ive poured , but i still wash them and starsan them using a bottle tree on bottling day.

I do the same as @yeastinfection.
I rinse the bottle when I've poured my beer (to stop yeast drying onto the inside of the bottle)
Then they go through the dishwasher which makes them clean and shiny, and also, importantly, they are dry on the inside.
Then they get stored in the garage until they are needed.
They just get a quick Starsan rinse, using a bottle washer, on bottling day.

I used to store them upside down in plastic storage boxes with lids, to stop any dust and what-not falling into the bottle while they are in the garage.
But I have got a little more slap-dash in the last year or so,
I'm now storing them the right way up in open crates, so necks open to the air.
I reckon the Starsan rinse will wash out any dust that falls in.
No problems yet....

Dishwasher? What do you do. Stack them all facing down and do a full wash but no detergents?
Might try that as well.

Dishwasher? What do you do. Stack them all facing down and do a full wash but no detergents?

Yes, exactly that. I stick them on the prongs on the lower shelf, and set the machine on the Eco cycle.

@Leon103, I was also dubious about how much water would get inside the bottle, but it seems to work brilliantly. Even the ones where I have accidentally left yeast dried into a crud inside the bottle come out clean and shiny from the dishwasher.

When I used to wash by hand there was always a little bit of moisture left in the bottle, no matter how carefully I drained them, and they would often fog up. The dishwasher seems to dry the inside and I don't get fogging anymore.

Brilliant lads cheers
My bottles are given the oxy wash an rinse before storage with loose tops on. so am going to try a starsan rinse prior to bottling. Well it’s a learning curve for me!
Thanks again for all your help

Yes, exactly that. I stick them on the prongs on the lower shelf, and set the machine on the Eco cycle.

@Leon103, I was also dubious about how much water would get inside the bottle, but it seems to work brilliantly. Even the ones where I have accidentally left yeast dried into a crud inside the bottle come out clean and shiny from the dishwasher.

When I used to wash by hand there was always a little bit of moisture left in the bottle, no matter how carefully I drained them, and they would often fog up. The dishwasher seems to dry the inside and I don't get fogging anymore.
Same experience as I have

After use I rinse the bottle with water. When I have 12 I soak them for X amount of days in a bucket with a diluted mixture of percarbonate and citric acid.
I then rinse the bottles, dry and store in crates.
Before bottling, I put 40 to 50 bottles through the dishwasher with no tablet on the sanitising setting. If I am not bottling for a couple of days, I cover the tops with cling film.
Before filling I rinse each bottle through on my rig with Starsan solution.
Job done, no issues.

Back