Cleaning a syphon tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yrhendystu

Regular.
Reaction score
Today whilst cleaning my gear ready to bottle I noticed there was some black spots inside my syphon tube. Clearly I hadn't dried it properly after using it last time. I tried flushing with hot water and that didn't work so I grabbed some paracord I have, I guess any string or thin rope would work and tied a knot in the cord and dragged it through with a little soap. It worked brilliantly, I made a few passes and it was spotless.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful or even tell me a better tip.

Just dropped it through, it's smaller than the internal diameter of the pipe which is why I had to tie the knot

Today whilst cleaning my gear ready to bottle I noticed there was some black spots inside my syphon tube. Clearly I hadn't dried it properly after using it last time. I tried flushing with hot water and that didn't work so I grabbed some paracord I have, I guess any string or thin rope would work and tied a knot in the cord and dragged it through with a little soap. It worked brilliantly, I made a few passes and it was spotless.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful or even tell me a better tip.
Tips are always helpful and the simpler the better.

Sudden thought - I just tied the knot on one end but I think if I tied both ends together I could just continually cycle it through.

I use string with a small piece of dishcloth tied in a knot of the string halfway along. With the string a lot longer either side of the knot. I can keep pulling it back and forth through the tubing....

I used to get this problem years ago with the tube on my hydration rucksack and still do the same with my syphon tube.

I fill a bowl up with diluted thin bleach such it through and then submerge the lot in it for a day or so and job done.

I'm liking your tip though athumb..

If you've one of those spring loaded bottle washers, you can put the syphon tube on the end and press down to push a jet of sanitser through the tube - works for me :)

Anna

Latest posts

Back