Cleaning your boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean your boilers after the boil?
I will be using mine as a HLT too so will need it clean for next use!

Citric acid boiled for 15 mins on the element before wiping with a cloth to remove limescale. otherwise, just hot water and rinse a few times, use a cloth so it doesn't scratch.

Where do you get the citric acid from and how much do you use?
Is it a liquid or powder and how much is it?

Also Wendy, do you have to do alot of rinsing of the oxybright?

Sorry for all the questions!

Andy

dont worry about all the questions thats what were all here for Andy :thumb: After cleaning i fill it up with cold water and make sure i get all the oxi bright off then i use a towel and wipe it dry and make it look shiney again :thumb:

So just the one rince then, right.
Mine will never be shiney as its blue on the outside and white on the inside, tis clean though :pray:

Is there any need to clean/descale the elements regularly? I'm lucky enough to not live in a hard water area but was wondering if this is something that I ought to do.

Most elements have a boil dry cut out, so I think you may need to clean the element to stop this. Isn't the main problem not limescale but burnt wort?

you can buy citric acid in a good volume from asian/indian/jamaican stores. it's in the spice section, they use it in cooking, I think you get 100g for about £1.20?

Latest posts

Back