Clearing WOW in buckets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
When transferring for the clearing stage, instead of putting it in a demijohn with a airlock can i put it in a fermenter with a snap on lid with no airlock. If so how long can i leave it in the lid type buckets before bottling.

In theory you can but in my experiance them lids hardly ever fit on properly so something nasty might get in and ruin your brew.

Might be worth wrapping the seal of the lid with cling film or tin foil or something for a little extra protection.

I wouldn't, the protective head of CO2 is gone, the surface area you're exposing to air is massive and it's rapidly going to oxidise. Get it into DJs or PETs.

Thanks for the advice I will put it in another dj. Am I right in thinking the bucket would be ok for primary fermentiaon then put it in a dj for clearing. I am just truing to get some use out of the 5ltr buckets I got in a cheap kit before.

jambanks said:
Am I right in thinking the bucket would be ok for primary fermentiaon then put it in a dj for clearing?
:thumb:

Yes, just leave the lid on and leave it alone until you're pretty sure it should be ready for racking.

Latest posts

Back