cloudy or clear cider ??????? help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
right i have made loads of cider about 160 ltrs its verry nearly stop fermenting now

1-i am going to add 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml as i want with some fiz
2- some going in kegs some going in bottles
3-from wot i read if i want it clear do i need to ad some pectin enzyme when it finish fermenting if so how mutch per 24 litres ??
4-will i need to second rack it ???
5-if second rack how long to leave it
6-how long till i can drink it :drunk:

cheers for any answers :thumb:

Your cider should clear by itself in time. You should have added pectin enzyme at the start of fermentation. It can work post fermentation, but not as well and not as often, but give it a try. Instructions for quantities will be on the side of the tub.

Getting it cloudy won't be as easy in this late stage, unless you leave some of the yeast in there and shake it up before you drink it as that's essentially what cloudy cider is. You can do this in bottles by bottling it before it clears as they'll all have a decent amount of yeast in them.

If you want cloudy cider in future, you need to boil it before you ferment it. Boiling it after will evaporate the alcohol from it. :(

You'll want to move to secondary if you want to add pectic enzyme to clear, because you'll need to stir it. I'd suggest a bottling bucket if possible, makes bottling that stuff up 10x easier. Leave it until it's clear.

How long? Up to you, but it'll get better the longer you leave it - the apple flavour will come through more and the harsh flavours will round off. My apple wine takes 6 months, I'd suggest 2 at least for cider.

What's your recipe and process? Hard to tell what's going to happen without that.

Latest posts

Back