Cloudy Wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have done 3 brews on my Klarstein Maischfest and all 3 are very cloudy after mashing.
Heres what i am doing
Heat to strike temp stir in grains making sure no dough balls check temp leave for 15 mins .
Then recirculate by jugging up about 1ltr every now and again probably about 8 times through a seive
Throughout i check the temp of the mash with a probe thermometer.
Stir top of the mash about 15 mins to go .
Recirculate one last time
Then lift the basket and drain.
I then sparge.
Am i missing something being a newbie looking any advice.
Had a rumage round my garage and have found enough odds and ends to make a pump to recirculate will that help .

I have done 3 brews on my Klarstein Maischfest and all 3 are very cloudy after mashing.
Heres what i am doing
Heat to strike temp stir in grains making sure no dough balls check temp leave for 15 mins .
Then recirculate by jugging up about 1ltr every now and again probably about 8 times through a seive
Throughout i check the temp of the mash with a probe thermometer.
Stir top of the mash about 15 mins to go .
Recirculate one last time
Then lift the basket and drain.
I then sparge.
Am i missing something being a newbie looking any advice.
Had a rumage round my garage and have found enough odds and ends to make a pump to recirculate will that help .
Recirculating will help keep an even temperature throughout the mash, as will stirring. As the starch converts to sugar the mash will feel thinner. I don't stir for the 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour including mash out this gives the small particles chance to settle on the top of the grain bed. Are you using a bag? And the pump will help.

Not using a bag just the basket that came with the system though thought about getting one and lining the basket with it , will it help?
It will, because it may appear you have a very fine crush. Check your grain what you should be looking for is an intact, cracked husk, even look towards getting yourself a grain mill.

Back