CML kentucky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
It’s generally assumed CML repackages yeast in their range, “four” is probably S04, “five” is probably US05. I have just used Kentucky for the first time, anyone know what Kentucky is ?

Ask them. I asked them which commercial yeast was closest to their Five yeast and they said US-05.

Probably California Common ale yeast-just a guess
The whole point of California Common aka steam beer is that it's fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures.....

Given that the Kentucky Common style is considered by some to be part of the wider steam beer family, and early US brewing was dominated by Germans trying to adapt what they knew to what was available across the pond, there's a fair chance that CML are hinting at a link to MJ M54 California which is about the only dry yeast I can think of with connections to that sort of thing. Or it's something like K-97.

Hmm - look at the official blurb :
Common Ale Yeast. Suitable for a large range of ales ranging from Commons, Kölsch, Cream Ales and pale ales with a clean edge.
Attenuation: 77-83%
Flocculation: High
Fermentation: ideally 13-22°C (55-72°F)
Max ABV 9% in 20 litres- Pitching Rate: 60g/100 litres
INGREDIENTS:Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), emulsifier E491

So they're emphasising that it's an ale yeast (S. cerevisiae) not lager, it sounds quite similar to Lallemand Koln with the 9% ABV limit.

It's good.. I have used it in a Altbier, west coast pale and using it in a Cold IPA this week. It's a little drier than some of the other Kolsch dry yeast, similar to K-97.

Back