CML yeast recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve re pitched CML yeasts on a few occasions but only by dumping the next brew on some of the previous slurry, and re pitch on the same more than once.
I’ve done this with their Four, Five, Pia and Hell. Never repitched on Clipper but only because the beers I make with this yeast end up with a lot of hop matter left in the FV.
You should be able to take nice clean Clipper yeast off the top, if it ferments in a similar fashion to Verdant. Top cropping is a luxury that certain yeasts offer, English strains in particular I believe.

Similarly it was the fermentation that ponged a bit. It didn't carry across to the beer at bottling time. The difference is that I fermented mine at 12-13C maybe that stressed the yeast a bit.

Ah, yes. The sulphur smell I got with the Hell was when fermented at 12.5 degrees so it’s probably a temperature thing.

You should be able to take nice clean Clipper yeast off the top, if it ferments in a similar fashion to Verdant. Top cropping is a luxury that certain yeasts offer, English strains in particular I believe.

Ah, you mean at high Krausen? If so then yes. Clipper is certainly keen to escape through the top of the FV after a day of so.

Ah, you mean at high Krausen? If so then yes. Clipper is certainly keen to escape through the top of the FV after a day of so.
Yes, it's the best way to take yeast from the fermenter, in my experience. I sometimes do a skim if there's hop/grain material on the krausen and top crop later. I don't top crop as often as i could though.

Yes I used clipper about two months ago in an A.P.A and it came through the air lock, was a 23 litre brew in a 33L fermenter. So how do you top crop yeast and how do you store it etc 👍

Sulphur is the yeast telling you it is struggling for nutrition.
Not true. Most yeasts throw sulphur even under ideal conditions. We just aren't standing there 24/7 to detect it. Think of it this way -- if you can smell sulphur during fermentation, then the sulphur won't be in the beer anymore when you taste it -- the sulphur has left the beer permanently.

Yes I used clipper about two months ago in an A.P.A and it came through the air lock, was a 23 litre brew in a 33L fermenter. So how do you top crop yeast and how do you store it etc 👍

I don't do the decanting and topping up with water that he does. I take a bit of wort with the yeast as I think yeast is better in beer than water. I may add some water to fill up if necessary. He's an Englishman that can't pronounce wort after all. Ha. I use jam jars and pesto jars. If the yeast is less than 3 weeks old I will pitch straight from the jar. A bit older and I revitalise it in fresh wort, probably taking some of the yeast from the jar with a sterile spoon, and saving the rest. Older still, I make a proper starter 2/3 days before I brew.

Yesterday I pitched two yeasts into a beer in two buckets. Both yeasts were in jars. One is a liquid yeast (WLP007) I bought a month ago that was out of date. I made a starter with it 3 weeks ago and stored the starter. Yesterday I cooled some wort in a jar at the end of the boil and added half the starter yeast. It had a good krausen 2 hours later and I pitched when my main wort was at pitching temperature. The other yeast was WLP066 and was top cropped for me by a mate about 6 weeks ago. I did the same thing as with the 007, added it to some wort after the boil. It was a bit slower to get froth on top but I pitched it about 2 hours after the 007. I co-pitched the 066 with some dry yeast as I want higher attenuation than the Fog will provide, and a less fruity outcome too. When I checked this morning, 12/10 hours after pitching, both batches had a healthy krausen.

Last edited:
I don't do the decanting and topping up with water that he does. I take a bit of wort with the yeast as I think yeast is better in beer than water. I may add some water to fill up if necessary. He's an Englishman that can't pronounce wort after all. Ha. I use jam jars and pesto jars. If the yeast is less than 3 weeks old I will pitch straight from the jar. A bit older and I revitalise it in fresh wort, probably taking some of the yeast from the jar with a sterile spoon, and saving the rest. Older still, I make a proper starter 2/3 days before I brew.

Yesterday I pitched two yeasts into a beer in two buckets. Both yeasts were in jars. One is a liquid yeast (WLP007) I bought a month ago that was out of date. I made a starter with it 3 weeks ago and stored the starter. Yesterday I cooled some wort in a jar at the end of the boil and added half the starter yeast. It had a good krausen 2 hours later and I pitched when my main wort was at pitching temperature. The other yeast was WLP066 and was top cropped for me by a mate about 6 weeks ago. I did the same thing as with the 007, added it to some wort after the boil. It was a bit slower to get froth on top but I pitched it about 2 hours after the 007. I co-pitched the 066 with some dry yeast as I want higher attenuation than the Fog will provide, and a less fruity outcome too. When I checked this morning, 12/10 hours after pitching, both batches had a healthy krausen.

Cheers for that fella, really helpful 👍🍻

Thought I'd post about my experiences of using some of the cml dried yeast strains:

Beoir- Fermented out a sub 5% abv bitter within a week. Good. Some nice flavours from the yeast.
Midland- again in the bitter. fermented out reliably and a bit further; bit less flavour interest from the yeast.
The Firm- fermented a 3.5% dark mild within a week. Produced good body and yeast produced flavour to compliment the roast malt and biscuit flavour.
Monk- again reliable fermentation of a 5.2% Belgian Pale ale in about 7 days. Nice 'Leffe'-like Belgian esters. Good body.
Flushed Nun- Fermented within a week. Spicy, dry and a bit thinner, bit less interesting in terms of yeast produced flavours

All the above were just sprinkled over the wort at the lowest end of their recommended working temperature. They all lagged about 24 hours until visible signs of activity. Fermenting temperatures were bumped up later.

Overall I have found these yeasts reliable and easy to use. I had been using liquid yeast for a couple of years but was getting fed up of the faff and the cost.
Just ordered Clipper and Atlantic for something hoppy.

Big fan of the CML yeasts and the company in general - always lovely to deal with and usually drop a nice email after every order taking interest in current homebrewing exploits.

I've used:

Four - Not a fan. I found the esters not particularly pleasant.
Five - As expected! Super nice clean US ale yeast, suitable for all sorts.
Midland - Lovely English yeast. Nottingham style.
Hog Norsk - I used this once before I had proper fermentation control and it got to 90-odd percent attentuation, resulting in a very weirdly dry beer. Would use again, I think this result was more down to poor brewing/fermentation on my behalf.
Kveik No 1 - As you'd expect. Super fast fermentation with quite a nice but subtle fruit flavour. Probably could get more if kept at 40 degrees c. I went through a phase of using this when using the bathroom airing cupboard before I had fermentation control and produced decent beers considering no control!
Clipper - My favourite of them all. Great in hazy beers. I plan to use this in some simple English ales too to see how it turns out. Nice flavours. Meant to be London Ale III.

I us Beoir as my ale/bitter yeast most of the time and Kveik for everything else except Lager.
Well impressed and re-use 2 to 3 times so works out even cheaper.
The Kveik is a beast it rips through the wort especially if you pitch @ 40c and keep it high it's fruity flavour at those temps compliments IPA's

Big fan of the CML yeasts and the company in general - always lovely to deal with and usually drop a nice email after every order taking interest in current homebrewing exploits.

I've used:

Four - Not a fan. I found the esters not particularly pleasant.
Five - As expected! Super nice clean US ale yeast, suitable for all sorts.
Midland - Lovely English yeast. Nottingham style.
Hog Norsk - I used this once before I had proper fermentation control and it got to 90-odd percent attentuation, resulting in a very weirdly dry beer. Would use again, I think this result was more down to poor brewing/fermentation on my behalf.
Kveik No 1 - As you'd expect. Super fast fermentation with quite a nice but subtle fruit flavour. Probably could get more if kept at 40 degrees c. I went through a phase of using this when using the bathroom airing cupboard before I had fermentation control and produced decent beers considering no control!
Clipper - My favourite of them all. Great in hazy beers. I plan to use this in some simple English ales too to see how it turns out. Nice flavours. Meant to be London Ale III.

Yep, love Clipper. First time I ever used it the beer I made won THBF January American Pale Ales competition. 👌

EDIT: That isn’t to say Clipper is the only CML yeast I like, I don’t get yeast from anywhere else.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of making a Belgian "pale" (which are always brown looking to me) as my next brew. For a variety of reasons, liquid yeast isn't practical for me and I really like CML yeasts (partially because their postage is dead cheap).

A lot of De Koninck clones tend to mention liquid yeasts. Does anyone have suggestions for dried yeast for a Dec Koninck clone? Doesn't have to be from CML, but I don't want to pay £5 postage on a sachet of yeast

Back