co2 injector for mini/easy keg build(pic heavy)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIGJIM72 said:
I think the OP was possibly more about force carbing,but I could be wrong. If so that would make a great deal of difference.

Yes, would be an expensive way to force carb.
This is my guide in the OP - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41498

I force carb in full size corny kegs and fill the minikeg from the corny when I need one.

i want to use it for both force carb and dispensing

i dont have a corny i only have mini kegs so if i want to bright beer or cider. yes i can go out and buy a tap and injector for £30+ but wanted to see if i could do it myself.

on the co2 bulbs this is taken from http://www.genuineinnovations.com/learn_about_co2.html

Genuine Innovations CO2 cartridges are tested to the highest standards for safety and reliability and contain pure food grade CO2. That means no oils or contaminants, which can harm or damage the inflator and decrease effectiveness of the device

the co2 i will be using
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_709029_langId_-1_categoryId_165661

hope this clears things up

yes they are un threaded but they are n20 not co2 so im not sure if its safe with my set up. and again at the moment the postage needs to taken into account

i have just used up my mini keg with the injector. i put a few tsp of sugar in the keg to help with the conditioning of the cider but used the injector to carb and serve it worked well but the acid in the cider started to attack the valve and washer so i need to use stainless or use Vaseline next time.

@bigjim72 i have used user links to get some co2 and a new pump(but it was faulty so sending it back) when they replace the pump i will get some n2o to test

thanks for the links

Great stuff, perhaps silicone washers and SS valves would be better but fantastic idea and something im gonna do with my bottom tap mini kegs too.

how high can u set the psi? the minikeg can be chilled pretty easily in the fridge, so working out how much condition you can add just depends of the pressure you can apply?? I guess the limiting factor is the pressure in the bulb u use? but 14psi at 4-5C should give u a pretty well conditioned beer over 2.5vols

I was using 16gram bulbs , but as I couldn't chill my kegs . I went to about 12psi for a day or so then put it in the shed for 6 weeks . When I was ready to open it I took a reading the kegs was at about 7 psi, vented it like a primed keg. I topped the co2 after each pint a quick blast . Iv read that the kegs start to deform at 14psi.

ive since googled and discovered the cycle boys who use these bulbs can inflate tyres to 90psi so there must be that sort of pressure in the bulbs then..

even at 12psi with chilling the carbonation/pressure charts indicate a healthy level of condition is possible without adding priming sugar :) Score!!

make sure you are using food grade co2 as you dont want to add oils or other nastys to your brew.

iceo said:
make sure you are using food grade co2 as you dont want to add oils or other nastys to your brew.

Not a problem, i use cornies and can feed gas from a big bottle.. but thanks for the thought.

However while i take food safety V seriously I also consider the oil in co2 bulbs a myth.. in addition to the logic already posted....

When first looking at getting a co2 supply for cornies i ended up on the phone with a friendly BOC rep who steered me in the right direction, He also told me co2 is co2- no differentiation in manufacture and co2 bottles are all built the same. ergo all co2 bulbs should all be made the same.

Also if oil was added why are the sellers for tyre inflators not making a big deal out of the added oil to protect valves etc..

In addition I use a minikeg tap/chiller i got via ebay its a morphy richards product and has a god awful brew???????????mister ish name in german and a inch thick manual, ok the manual is thick cos of all the languages but a good 20-30 pages in english and it covers the bulbs in some detail and no where is there any warning about using foodsafe only bulb.

the bulbs my be true but as i use a co2 bulbs in air rifles that state the co2 is not food safe.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I have been looking for a keg solution as I don't have room for cornies in my flat and this is an awesome hack! Are you still using it? How is it working?

I bought a couple easy kegs and valves so I'm going to put this together. You mentioned that you changed how you assembled it. Do you have any pictures/details? Also, how do you get the bung out? do you just give it a good yank?

I also bought a tyre valve connector so that I can hook this up to a CO2 cylinder.

Thanks

Rob

Latest posts

Back