cold start ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott78

Reaction score
hi, im sure im fretting over nothing but i did my first AG lager a week ago. duing the mash i rehydrated 2 packs of youngs lager yeast, my the time i pitched in it was starting to get active. the wort must have been less then 20 when i added it, i know it needs a cold ferment so its been in a cool room (11deg) for a week. i know its a bottom fermenter but i thought i would get some activity on the surface first. should i warm it up to get it started or kep the faith and give it another week?
thanks in advance

Maybe you should have pitched the yeast at 16 degrees then when fermentation starts drop temp to 12 you should have seen activity by now. You really need accurate temp control when doing lager. Give it a stir up and warm to 16 then if you see signs of fermentation cool down to 12. Usually with the packet yeast you don't need to ferment cool. If you want a decent lager get some good yeast like white labs etc

Latest posts

Back