Commercial NEIPA and Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an readily available NEIPA and Saison? Ideally from a supermarket, but online also

👍

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Don't think any of the supermarkets are selling an NEIPA yet, or certainly none that I've seen.

Tesco sell the Nøgne Ø Saison which is a decent introduction to the style, but again this is the only saison I've seen in a supermarket.

Saison, by it's nature, is a sort of farmhouse brew. I'm sure you can get commercial examples but with Mangrove Jacks M29 French Saison yeast they are easy to make. The yeast should be brewed at high temps so is ideal for summer use, even without temp control. This yeast munches up anything and leaves a crisp, dry finish. I've brewed twice this year with it using 2.5kg of lager malt, 1.5kg of wheat and 1kg of Munich. 30g of Hallertauer blanc at 60 mins and another 30g at flameout. The 1054 OG dropped to 1003 FG so 6.7%abv. It doesn't taste strong but 3 bottles will have you nicely relaxed! Not really an answer to your question but since this is a brewing forum:)

M&S have the Nøgne Ø Saison too, and they also carry a Sorachi Ace Saison (own brand) which I found pretty unpleasant!

Saison, by it's nature, is a sort of farmhouse brew. I'm sure you can get commercial examples but with Mangrove Jacks M29 French Saison yeast they are easy to make. The yeast should be brewed at high temps so is ideal for summer use, even without temp control. This yeast munches up anything and leaves a crisp, dry finish. I've brewed twice this year with it using 2.5kg of lager malt, 1kg of wheat and 500g of Munich. 30g of Hallertauer blanc at 60 mins and another 30g at flameout. The 1054 OG dropped to 1003 FG so 6.7%abv. It doesn't taste strong but 3 bottles will have you nicely relaxed! Not really an answer to your question but since this is a brewing forum:)

yes I can vouch for MJ M29. I've just done one with lallemands saison which which is a bit more subdued, less funky.

as for shop saisons, the m&s sorachi ace was dissapointing and the nogne saison was only ok. - Stone do a cali-belgique which whilst not a proper saison, did have saisony traits.

You'll probably have to go to a bottle shop as Leon says, but for a saison you want to try a Dupont for the quintessential saison, or maybe a Boulevard for a fantastic US version. Cloudwater and Brewdog have collabed to make a NEIPA, but I haven't tried it. Actually any of the Cloudwater DIPAs are fantastic, maybe not technically NE style but not a million miles away.

For a new world take on Saison I found Saison Sauvin by 8 wired brewing really good. By no means traditional but a good mix of hop and yeast character. I've seen it online on beerhawk and honest brew. Not found a true NEIPA yet!

Good thread this, I agree with previous comments that a bottle shop would be the best port of call. I had a NEIPA from a Norwegian brewery which was called Apocalyptic Thunder Juice. It was pretty good though had a lot of hop bitterness and wasn't super juicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are privileged to live in the north of England then find a Booths supermarket. They have over 200 beers and ciders in the bigger branches, including a decent selection of French and Belgian beers. I've never seen a supermarket which comes close to their range.

Brewdog have just released Hazy Jane. Available online and very tasty!
5cfd7935ecb506f7495c4bd559f5e8d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kernel brewery do a wide selection of saisons. I believe I back seen Dupont in Tesco.

Verdant do some lovely IPA's although not listed as NEIPA some of them are bang on the characteristics of them. Bloom is nice.

Saison, by it's nature, is a sort of farmhouse brew. I'm sure you can get commercial examples but with Mangrove Jacks M29 French Saison yeast they are easy to make. The yeast should be brewed at high temps so is ideal for summer use, even without temp control. This yeast munches up anything and leaves a crisp, dry finish. I've brewed twice this year with it using 2.5kg of lager malt, 1kg of wheat and 500g of Munich. 30g of Hallertauer blanc at 60 mins and another 30g at flameout. The 1054 OG dropped to 1003 FG so 6.7%abv. It doesn't taste strong but 3 bottles will have you nicely relaxed! Not really an answer to your question but since this is a brewing forum:)

I'm another who can advocate the use of Mangrove Jacks M29 yeast. I used it on a kit where the grains were made up for me and the resultant beer was fantastic.

Nogne O Saison is available in tesco and is a nice drop.

For a NEIPA You are better off getting some from an independent shop. Good examples are Fourpure Juicebox, Wild Beer Trendy Juice and any of the big Magic Rock cans that are fermented with a British ale yeast. I had half cut at the weekend and it was fantastic.

Brewdog have Hazy Jane and Cloudwater have 1 which I've forgotten the name.. Available in craft beer shops or online

I found a Saison called Sorachi Saison in M&S today. Will try tonight hopefully.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back