NEIPA All Grain Kit recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve just got myself a Fermzilla Gen 3 Fermenter and looking for an All Grain NEIPA kit to try out so looking for some recommendations please.

I have Corny Kegs and a Klarstein mash kettle, can do closed (oxy free) transfers and wanting to up my game a wee bit so thought I’d try out a NEIPA recipe, either in kit form or buying the ingredients seperately.

Which is cheaper? Kit or individual ingredients?

I’ve been buying the Salt range of NEIPA’s from Morrisons and they are lush to drink so looking for something along those lines if possible, but basically any reasonable NEIPA will do.

I was browsing the selection on Maltmiller today, had some with very positive reviews.
GetErBrewed also do DDH Neipa which i tried before when i first started out brewing but due to lack of experience it didn’t turn out very well, but that was my fault so thinking i might give that one another try.

2 tips I read and hear to a lot are below.

O2 after fermentation is your enemy. Can you fement under pressure and close transfer into a keg?

You must add a good dollop of dry hop before it’s fully fermented out. Some magic called bio transformation.

How did it turn out?
The first two were very good. The third, that I'm drinking now, not as good but I did make a slight change to the recipe. I used Greg Hughes recipe. I do closed transfer and store in plastic pressure barrel (King Keg) and it keeps well. Check out my brew day accounts for details.

2 tips I read and hear to a lot are below.

O2 after fermentation is your enemy. Can you fement under pressure and close transfer into a keg?

You must add a good dollop of dry hop before it’s fully fermented out. Some magic called bio transformation.
Yes i can ferment under pressure in the Fermzilla and also transfer to the corny keg (closed transfer) so should remain oxy free throughout.

The first two were very good. The third, that I'm drinking now, not as good but I did make a slight change to the recipe. I used Greg Hughes recipe. I do closed transfer and store in plastic pressure barrel (King Keg) and it keeps well. Check out my brew day accounts for details.
I’ll search that one mate, thanks.

I've done both the Malt Miller Verdant Even Sharks Need Water and Lightbulb clone kits and both have been tremendous and very close to the original. They come with extensive notes from the Verdant brewer too so you can learn alot about brewing the style from that.

I've done both the Malt Miller Verdant Even Sharks Need Water and Lightbulb clone kits and both have been tremendous and very close to the original. They come with extensive notes from the Verdant brewer too so you can learn alot about brewing the style from that.
Cheers mate, will give them a looking at.

I second Verdant's ESNW. Absolutely incredible beer. Make sure you use their yeast and water profile if you go for it.
I’ve searched that one (ESNW) and it’s quite steep at £50 plus postage and I’m not sure or even confident enough to throw £50 on a kit that may fail. I’m no cheap skate by the way, but after two failed attempts at other all grain kits i was looking at other cheaper alternatives to hone my skills on and hopefully build up confidence and experience with If that makes sense?

Yep. Fair enough. Understand. Biggest piece of advice I can give for NEIPA is to make sure you get the water right. I use a R.O system these days, but used to use supermarket spring water before that. It's pretty vital.

Maybe you could brew a West Coast IPA as a way of getting to know the fermenter. If it goes well, you could then go NEIPA - maybe even ESNW.

This kit looks to be a beaut. I'm planning on brewing it soon myself. Check out the reviews. Two Hearted Clone – American IPA - The Malt Miller

I hope the Fermzilla works out. I have the earlier model. I kinda love and hate it all at once. In short, I wish it had tri clamps!

Talking of costs, the Greg Hughes recipe that I have brewed 3 times now, cost a smidge over £40 for 5 gallons. That includes £5 for propane gas.
4kg pilsner malt
500g Vienna malt
1kg flaked oats (I use flaked porridge oats)
250g Carapils
50g Simcoe*
50g Amarillo*
150g Citra#
100g Galaxy#
1 pkt Verdant yeast
*= flame out
#= dry hop for last 3 days

I mash for an hour recycling the wort through a HERMS circuit to maintain temperature at 66C and sparge to achieve pre-boil volume then boil for 75mins. I ferment in a plastic lidded bucket for around 2 weeks and closed transfer into a plastic pressure barrel.

I’ve switched to hop pellets as I think they’re easier to store “left-overs” in the freezer for next time.

Yep. Fair enough. Understand. Biggest piece of advice I can give for NEIPA is to make sure you get the water right. I use a R.O system these days, but used to use supermarket spring water before that. It's pretty vital.

Maybe you could brew a West Coast IPA as a way of getting to know the fermenter. If it goes well, you could then go NEIPA - maybe even ESNW.

This kit looks to be a beaut. I'm planning on brewing it soon myself. Check out the reviews. Two Hearted Clone – American IPA - The Malt Miller

I hope the Fermzilla works out. I have the earlier model. I kinda love and hate it all at once. In short, I wish it had tri clamps!
Really appreciate the sound advice mate and i may just do that.

I love Neck Oil so might go down that road and try the clone that KegThat do. But i do love a nice can or pint of NEIPA so really want to try that at some point as well. At the minute I’m setting up my brew system, or rather modifying it. I have a Klarstein mash kettle which i tried with BIAB but found it very messy so I’m now busy constructing a Malt Pipe out of stainless steel with and old flue pipe and some perforated stainless mess i bought, in fact I’m welding it all up this morning when i get to work. After that i just got myself a re-circ pump which needs piping in and then I’m good to go. Other than that i also have everything needed to do a completely closed transfer.

My plan was to used supermarket spring water instead of the old tap water so hoping that will also help as well.

Talking of costs, the Greg Hughes recipe that I have brewed 3 times now, cost a smidge over £40 for 5 gallons. That includes £5 for propane gas.
4kg pilsner malt
500g Vienna malt
1kg flaked oats (I use flaked porridge oats)
250g Carapils
50g Simcoe*
50g Amarillo*
150g Citra#
100g Galaxy#
1 pkt Verdant yeast
*= flame out
#= dry hop for last 3 days

I mash for an hour recycling the wort through a HERMS circuit to maintain temperature at 66C and sparge to achieve pre-boil volume then boil for 75mins. I ferment in a plastic lidded bucket for around 2 weeks and closed transfer into a plastic pressure barrel.

I’ve switched to hop pellets as I think they’re easier to store “left-overs” in the freezer for next time.
Where do you get your supplies from?

FWIW I’ve tried TMM Two Hearted Clone recipe Kit and was totally underwhelmed as were the Partridge brothers on You Tube I know others have said the same too.

Latest posts

Back