Comparing yeasts: input wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
What I have in mind is to compare six dry abbey yeasts. These can be grouped in three pairs, with apparent attenuation (appr.) 75%, 80% en 85%. I will have three brewing sessions, where I will brew enough to split in two and then use each yeast of the pairs.

But, if I brew three times the same wort, with the same bitterness, I will have six different beers, where with the yeasts with higher apparent attenuation, alcohol and bitterness versus final gravity will probably have more influence on the taste than the yeast.

So, would it be a good idea to try to match the parameters of the end product, by adjusting the amount of malt and hop, in this case a beer of 6,6% ABV, with a relatively low bitterness, 27 IBU for yeasts with high apparent attenuation, and 32 for the yeasts with lower apparent attenuation? For this calculation I use the Relative Bitterness Ratio: http://www.madalchemist.com/relative_bitterness.html.

I think the yeast will have a much greater influence on the flavor than the attenuation of the beer or bitterness ratio. The threshold for differentiation of bitterness levels is said to be about 5 IBU and that is very hard to pick up. Stick with the same recipe and then you will know what difference the yeast actually produces.

Latest posts

Back