Conditioning Wherry at 4 deg C

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
My first ever beer kit is now in keg, conditioning in the shed as I don't have any cool rooms in the house. But the weather here has turned very cold. The beer is now at 4 deg C. Will it suffer? Please advise. I have wrapped it in coats and towels so the cold nights don't drop the temp much from the daily average. Air temps this week should stay well above freezing so I don't fear that it will form ice in the brew.

I wouldn't worry about it. On the basis that you've already had it in the warm for a couple of weeks, it will be fine in the shed - and better for it. It would have to be incredibly cold outside for your beer to freeze INSIDE the shed. 4 deg C is fine - some people go lower. It will help to clear the beer. Ditch the coats and towels - you really don't need them!

Thanks GS. It was -4 in my garage two mornings ago! It's more exposed but the shed would be as cold in an easterly.

All my beer is stored in the garage in crates. The temp in there is pretty much what the outside temp is give or take a degree or two I reckon, so it has been in some low temps.
The beer is very cold but had already been carbonated, it is also very cloudy at very low temperatures like this.
I have a crate of various bottles under the stairs at just under room temperature and when these are opened and poured are crystal clear. I guess the ice cold beer has a chill haze that disappears as the beer warms up.

Thanks GS. It was -4 in my garage two mornings ago! It's more exposed but the shed would be as cold in an easterly.
A sustained -4 *C is on the cusp of your beer starting to freeze. Putting coats and towels over your keg can workboth ways. The best option is to allow it to warm up during the day without any insulation, cover overnight to keep the heat in , and then remove the covers and start the cycle again.

Thanks everyone. It has carbonated for two weeks at 18 to 19 C and is now conditioning. I hate cold beer, so I may have to move it once more or microwave it. I can't understand why so many pubs chill their beer below cellar temps, even in winter. I know Wheery well from supping it in the Yelvertoft Arms and there they served it at an ideal temp. I have a wifi thermometer next to the keg and under the coats but took the coats away at 7am. It's a fine, sunny day and the ambient temp next to the keg is 5.1.

We've sat in the garden, in brilliant sunshine a few times already this year, but only when there's no wind. We are only a mile from the coast and the sea gives us a milder climate than inland. We are not far from Altnaharra which got to -27C one winter!

You are correct. It's my memory at fault since we moved away two years ago. The beer was always good and often they had the Wherry on. We kept a boat in the marina nearby.

You are correct. It's my memory at fault since we moved away two years ago. The beer was always good and often they had the Wherry on. We kept a boat in the marina nearby.

It's been a while since I drank there, my old workmate lives in Yelvertoft and I used to go in there for a pint or two but I'm probably talking about 15+ years ago. As soon as I seen Yelvertoft arms I thought of that place but then googled it and thought I'd ask the question. Small world.

Latest posts

Back