Cooper Canadian blonde beginner help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemi1982

Reaction score
Hi I’m a beginner Ive just purchased coopers Canadian blonde,, and coopers light malt extract.. basically I want my beer to look like a carling, fosters type beer.. just worried about the malt extract I don’t want a dark looking ale at the end… should I use brewing sugar instead?

Reason I say this my first batch of larger was a coopers original larger using a love brewing light home brand malt…(was a recommendation on the site) it came out a dark copper looking beer but still nice to drink but not quite how I wanted it.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, you’re trying to make a beer that actually looks like Carling or Fosters? Each to their own.

Light malt extract should be fine - I wouldn’t expect that to darken the beer much at all. It will also give your beer more body and flavour than sugar would. Whether the end result is to your taste I can’t say, but you should end up with a perfectly good blonde ale.

I have a Cooper’s Canadian Blonde in my fermentation bucket at the moment. I made it up using 1Kg of Light Dry Malt Extract and 400g of brewing sugar just to lift the ABV a little. I added a hop tea made up of Citra and Mosaic hops in hop tea bags earlier today. I will be bottling it in 4 days. This is going to be my lawnmower beer.
I’m not too concerned about the colour, I just want it to taste good. I’ve been making a few two can premium kits recently which have been great. I’m just pimping this one for experience.

If your looking to make fosters or Carling, don’t use any malt extract. Use brewing sugar.

Keep your brew colder than recommended whilst it’s fermenting around 18C and leave it completely alone for a few weeks before you think about bottling

Canadian Blonde is slightly darker than Lagers also it has more of a hop taste than Lager too so will not be like Carlsberg.
You will need to use a lager kit and use half sugar half light malt extract so you get a bit of body but the sugar will just ferment down to alcohol.
In a ideal world it should be a Lager yeast at lower temps but you can pseudo Lager with neutral ale yeast at there lower end of fermentation but this will make them take longer to ferment

Just trying my Coopers Canadian Blonde now. First pint. It has turned out great. I love it. The Mosaic and Citra hops flavour is very light and mellow in the background. Not like a Pale Ale or IPA. It is a really nice refreshing beer. I am actually shocked. I wasn't expecting it to turn out so well. You would never guess that it was a HomeBrew beer. If I was served this in a bar I'd stay there all night. Photo does not do it justice, it is light in colour, black background doesn't help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_194747.jpg
    IMG_20220401_194747.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 20
Just trying my Coopers Canadian Blonde now. First pint. It has turned out great. I love it. The Mosaic and Citra hops flavour is very light and mellow in the background. Not like a Pale Ale or IPA. It is a really nice refreshing beer. I am actually shocked. I wasn't expecting it to turn out so well. You would never guess that it was a HomeBrew beer. If I was served this in a bar I'd stay there all night. Photo does not do it justice, it is light in colour, black background doesn't help.
Hi, I currently do all grain but I still do the odd kit. I have a Canadian blonde on order and I would like to pimp it. I have some citra and amarillo to hand. I want to add a hop tea and a dry hop. What is you hop tea method ? I don't really want to add too much bitterness.

Hi I just bought finishing hops from the Homebrew Company, 20g Citra and 20g Mosaic. They were supplied in hop tea bags. So I added them to a Cup with hot water on day 10 of Fermentation, left them to soak in the hot water for about 10-15 minutes and I added the Hop Tea bags and the water to the fermentation bucket.
I honestly was not expecting too much from this one, it was a little experiment on pimping a basic kit. By the time you buy everything it costs as much as a premium kit anyway. But it turned out better than I was expecting. The Mosaic and Citra Hops are there, but just subtle and nicely in the background.

Hi, I currently do all grain but I still do the odd kit. I have a Canadian blonde on order and I would like to pimp it. I have some citra and amarillo to hand. I want to add a hop tea and a dry hop. What is you hop tea method ? I don't really want to add too much bitterness.
Hi I just bought finishing hops from the Homebrew Company, 20g Citra and 20g Mosaic. They were supplied in hop tea bags. So I added them to a Cup with hot water on day 10 of Fermentation, left them to soak in the hot water for about 10-15 minutes and I added the Hop Tea bags and the water to the fermentation bucket.
I honestly was not expecting too much from this one, it was a little experiment on pimping a basic kit. By the time you buy everything it costs as much as a premium kit anyway. But it turned out better than I was expecting. The Mosaic and Citra Hops are there, but just subtle and nicely in the background.

Latest posts

Back