Coopers Devils Half Ruby Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently made this kit (devils half porter) and added the Coopers stout kit and it's turned out really nice. Definitely more of a stout with nice bitterness.

Has anyone else tried this mix?

Cheers

Dicko

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.
I called in my lhbs for a coopers stout and all the bits and pieces and I was given a sample of a brew he made with the toucans abd it was lovely So I give it a go myself. Just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Dicko

Hi pete
That sounds real tasty. I read somewhere on the forum that it's quite possible the ruby porter is the dark ale repackaged but couldn't swear to it.
The reason I did the ruby porter and the stout is because the lhbs was selling both cans together at a knockdown price of £23. To buy separately they would have cost £29.95 so was a bit of a bargin.
A lot of other brewers must have felt the same as when I went back for another couple of cans yesterday, they'd all gone!:mad3:

Dicko

Adding the 250 grams of choc malt makes all the difference in my opinion.
One of the blokes in work asked if I had any spare a few weeks ago.
I didn't think so, but when I checked I found two cases at the back of the garage.
At first I thought they were six months old, but realised later they were older. Bloody nice if you can keep it that long.

As for your specials, that's always a problem. Buy them when you see them.
I've been caught out before.

I bought a couple of Coopers kits recently to bulk up an order, neither of which I had done before, and was interesting for me as I hadn't brewed a kit for at least 12 months. One was the Devils Half Ruby Porter. Brewed with 500g dark DME, homemade invert sugar based on 500g table sugar, a 100g crystal malt steep and 100g dark muscavado sugar, to 22 litres, and using a 3rd generation CML Midland yeast. Tonight I opened a bottle that had only been carbing for 5 days but was only half empty at bottling time and therefore might be subject to oxygen spoiling. Anyway carbing done, beer cleared, and good lacing down the glass. I found it's quite bitter, but has a bonfire toffee taste somewhere in there. My feeling is to now forget all about it for at least two months then see what has happened to it, but the initial signs are good. athumb..

Latest posts

Back