Coopers IPA, which hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanB

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the Coopers IPA kit and i want to add some hops to it so i was going to make a hop tea but i was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the best hop or hops to use and how much should i boil? Up to now I have just done kits the basic way so i thought i would try adding a little something.

Cheers :cheers:

Really depend on which hops you like, very much subjective. Might be worth buying a few bottles of IPA and checking which hops are used in the beers you like best?

As an alternative to the Coopers kit I would recommend the Youngs American IPA kit, which comes with 100g of hops for dry hopping with. It is a mighty IPA and is seriously hoppy! Some might think too hoppy but again that is subjective. It costs more than the Coopers kit but you won't need to buy separate hops or brew enhancer as its all included.

Definitely a matter of taste. If I had to recommend one hop I'd probably go for Centennial cos it seems to work in everything, and mates always like my brews that have Centennial.

If you want to keep with the Coopers intended English style, then Fuggles, Goldings or one of my personal favourites Aurora would all work. For something a little different without going all transatlantic you could try Bramling Cross.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Got one of these kits to make when the FV is free,also got 20G of citra hops,now I like citrusy lpas but not sure about using them in this kit in a dry hopping brew,seen somewhere only to use 14G rather than the full packet

For me Coopers IPA is much nearer a 'traditional' UK IPA rather than lighter New World IPAs which seem to be hopped with citrussy hops like Cascade.
So you could enhance the existing hop profile as others have said by using Goldings or Fuggles or subtly change it to have a citrus feel to it.
I dry hopped with both First Gold and Goldings to my Coopers IPAs and they both worked although I preferred the First Gold.
And to get nearer New World IPAs using a Coopers kit I went for the Australian Pale Ale dry hopping with Cascade and First Gold. Next time will be an all Cascade batch to try.
Finally Clibit posted a very useful guide to hops which you will find here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=483777#post483777

It's all about taste, but I'm liking beers that blend English and US hops, hence my Centennial suggestion. You'l get a beer more like Goose Island IPA if you do. Goose Island uses Pilgrim (English) and Celiea (Slovenian Fuggles) hops as well as US Centennial and Cascade.

Shame if they don't do an English IPA though....

I looked at their site and it seems they're carrying on with their current stuff but repackaged. So the American IPA will in addition to not instead of. I hope I'm right as I really like both the IPA and the English Bitter...oh and the APA, the Sparkling Ale, the Irish Stout, the Dark Ale and the Original Stout...well you get the picture.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Hmm,so seemingly some of these new kits are around 18$ Australian,and to buy in ozzland around £8.50? The question remains how much when they hit our UK shores.or am I reading the prices wrong?

Hmm,so seemingly some of these new kits are 18$ Australian and to buy in ozzland around �£8.50? The question remains how much when they hit our UK shores.or am I reading the prices wrong?

Presumably the same sort of price as the existing kits in the same series are now.

I did read up a bit on the new Coopers "Craft beer kits" and they are, from what I can see, a "Mr Beer" extension to the Coopers range, aimed at a niche US market for "no effort" beer making, done next to the fruit bowl, in a plastic container.

Craig did a review of the "Mr Beer" offer, One of the few of his that I did not stay with to the end. Or even near.

I looked at their site and it seems they're carrying on with their current stuff but repackaged. So the American IPA will in addition to not instead of. I hope I'm right as I really like both the IPA and the English Bitter...oh and the APA, the Sparkling Ale, the Irish Stout, the Dark Ale and the Original Stout...well you get the picture.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

From what I can gather the "English" IPA is gone. That's what I've read and the bloke who I buy my supplies from confirmed on Friday. He's waiting for the Coopers rep to come in and try to get me a couple of IPA if there's any left. Both of the lighter/pale ales in the range have an American influence.
http://www.coopers.com.au/community...pers-launches-new-craft-diy-brewing-extracts/

read the link.... " to meet demands of overseas markets"..... Americans obviously.

• Bootmaker Pale Ale (Thomas Cooper was originally a bootmaker). An American style Pale Ale with a rich amber colour, toffee malt flavours with citrus/pine hop aromas, refreshing, bitter finish and a rich creamy head.

• Brew A IPA (Brew A was Thomas Cooper’s first recorded brew). An American style IPA, full bodied, deep amber in colour with reddish hues. It has tropical citrus/grapefruit notes whilst the toasty amber malt balances a clean hop-filled, bitter finish.
One of the stouts is being removed too, but will be replaced.

As for the price. The blokes on the Coopers forum say it's a $5 increase on the old range at the online store. I mentioned this to the bloke I buy from and he said don't worry about it. It probably won't be that much.

*I've just read elsewhere it's a $3 increase. About £1.50.

Back