Coopers kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey all I have a coopers 86 day pilsner and a Canadian blonde lager kit also by coopers on the way I ordered a 100g of Columbus and a 100g of comet dry hops would these be any good to add to the kits or could they possibly ruin them any info appreciated thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-214525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191219-214525_Chrome.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 135
Sound I was worried certain hops might not match certain beer types
I think you're correct. I'd be having a google of those hops before you start throwing them in.

What do Columbus hops taste like?
Pungent, resiny, earthy, and spicy; sometimes having the aroma black pepper or licorice. Aroma can change to qualities of marijuana if used heavily in the flavor/aroma end of the brew. Columbus hops may have slight citrus characteristics when beer is fresh.

What are Comet hops?
Comet. Dominated by citrus zest and fragrant grassy notes, Comet is a dual-use hop. SKU: HCOM0044. Origin: USA. Comet is a cross of English hops with a wild American variety and was first released in 1974.

I know these two hops have been used as a combo in American pales. Don’t know about lagers though. I find the coopers kits ideal for tweaking especially the Ozzie pale ale kit , you can do lots with that one. Always best to try the kits as standard & if you want to experiment afterwards with them go for it. Do those come with genuine lager yeast ?

I know these two hops have been used as a combo in American pales. Don’t know about lagers though. I find the coopers kits ideal for tweaking especially the Ozzie pale ale kit , you can do lots with that one. Always best to try the kits as standard & if you want to experiment afterwards with them go for it. Do those come with genuine lager yeast ?
I think you're correct. I'd be having a google of those hops before you start throwing them in.
What do Columbus hops taste like?
Pungent, resiny, earthy, and spicy; sometimes having the aroma black pepper or licorice. Aroma can change to qualities of marijuana if used heavily in the flavor/aroma end of the brew. Columbus hops may have slight citrus characteristics when beer is fresh.
What are Comet hops?
Comet. Dominated by citrus zest and fragrant grassy notes, Comet is a dual-use hop. SKU: HCOM0044. Origin: USA. Comet is a cross of English hops with a wild American variety and was first released in 1974.

+1 on all of that.
I also often used the AuPA as a base for creating different beers with various hops, grain steeps and minimashes.
As far as the two kits in the OP are concerned the 86 day Pilsner comes with a lager yeast so can be fermented lower than an ale yeast although if you want to ferment at 12*C say you might need extra lager yeast. And the Blonde comes with an ale yeast and is a very light beer, personally I found it bland.
As for using the Comet and Columbus hops I personally wouldn't use either of them in these kits, probably way over the top for the styles. If you must supplement the kits with hops, Hallertau or Saaz for the Pilsner, and maybe a touch of a citrussy hop for the Blonde like Citra or Cascade. However I did use Motueka in one Pilsner and it worked out well.

Latest posts

Back