Coopers Lager: possible tweak/experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeDave

Reaction score
So,

Thinking of doing Coopers Lager, mixed with a tin of Coopers Light Malt Extract and using Saflager Yeast, brewed short to 21.5L and try to keep my FV at 14degs for 2 weeks. I then plan to bottle in 500ml Pets, primed with 1tsp granulated sugar, then putting them in a fridge at 2-3degs for 4-6 weeks. :hmm:

Plan on doing this in early November as I could keep the room I use for brewing cooler than room temp then, and it's usually baltic up here in Glasgow then! It also gives me time to buy the fridge for secondary! :D

I don't have the money, technical expertise or even the tools to construct a brewfridge. :(

Thoughts?

The coopers european lager comes with a lager yeast in the kit!

I've brewed this a couple of times now,the first time i added 1kg of light dme and brewed at about 18-20oc and it turned out a very nice pint!

Second time round i used the dme again and pitched the yeast at 18oc to get it going then used an ice bath to lower the temps to about 12 oc and left it to ferment for three weeks dry hoping with some sazz after about ten days.This is a cracking pint in my opinion.

I've moved on to extract now and thinking all grain before christmas but this will remain a kit i will keep buying.If i were you i would use the kit yeast and use the money to buy some hops.

B

Coopers Lager comes with an ale yeast that doesn't give it the most drinkable flavour IMO. Their European Lager on the other hand comes with a lager strain and is fantastic. Instructions reckon 12 weeks to condition but I was in amongst it at 6! I'd say do what you suggested, but for the same price, use the European kit.
Both your posts above have basically concreted a few thoughts I've been having myself about my next lager kit. Coopers European, some light malt extract or maybe spraymalt and a Saaz hop tea infusion for good measure. Cheers guys! :clap:

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! The Coopers Lager, I already have in the house, so don't need the actual kit, just the fermentables and lager yeast. :thumb:

The Euro Lager does sound good though. Maybe one for kicking off in the New Year and stashed away until May/June.... :hmm:

Back