Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put mine on, used a beer enhancer and half tin of black treacle and brewed it short at 18ltrs, OG was 1050. Hoping to get down to atleast 1012 for a 5% brew. Ive heard this can be ready quick so Im hoping it's ready same time as the Evil Dog IPA Ive just bottled.

Just put mine on, used a beer enhancer and half tin of black treacle and brewed it short at 18ltrs, OG was 1050. Hoping to get down to atleast 1012 for a 5% brew. Ive heard this can be ready quick so Im hoping it's ready same time as the Evil Dog IPA Ive just bottled.

I bottled my Evil Dog 2 weeks ago this sunday so looking to put it in for cold conditioning this sunday.

Im not sure what SG I should expect the coopers stout to get down to? as it sits at 1014 now after 6 days.

what was OG? Im only hoping it ends about 1012 because I want a 5% Stout but havent a clue what it will actually finish at. If yours has hit 1014 after 6 days then it may drop a couple more before end. From what Ive read though this one doesnt take much longer than 6 days to ferment. I actually expect this to be ready at the same time as the Evil Dog even tho I started it two weeks later.

Ye should be. I think thats a good strength for a stout. Let me know how it tastes with the added hops, think I may dry hop myself.

Down to 1013 after 3 days, think Im going to def reach my target of 1012. Taste test revealed it to be strong in treacle but not overpowering, obviously that will subside as it carries on brewing. I have high hopes for this brew and also hoping to taste my first pint of it in just 4 weeks time.

Have a batch of this in the FV right now and I'm brewing it with the Ditchs stout method using 250g demerara sugar and 1kg brewform Amber 18 EBC spray malt. It smells amazing and the fermentation went off like a bomb. I will always mix using a drill with wine whip from now one..it made a lot of difference. I actually made the whip from a coat hanger using this video as a guide:- [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE[/ame]
I waited for around 5 hours before pitching the yeast to let the huge bubble head settle down!

5 and a half weeks cold conditioning now, when's it supposed to improve?! Still a very strong alcohol taste and no depth of flavour, as for a head, the froth from serving vanishes within a minute or two. It's also rather sweet for my liking, drinkable, but only if there's nothing else ready. I'll leave it another month, which should be easy, but I don't think I'll be doing this again unless there is dramatic improvement. Shame really, given the hype...

Well as promised it's been a month since this post. Sad to say still no improvement, ho hum.
And I'd heard such good things, may be this a 'marmite' kit?

After 13 days and it finally slowing right down I have just done a gravity test with my hydrometer of my Coopers Stout. The reading is 1.006 and the original reading was 1.053 so I think I am looking around the 6% mark if I have worked it out correctly. Time to bottle me thinks. :drink:

Well I have just been into mine and since doing a gravity test on it yesterday it has now started fermenting quicker again so I am not sure if I should bottle or leave it a bit longer. :confused:

bottled the coopers stout and going to condition it in warm for a couple of weeks before sticking it in my garage. It tastes at the minute a bit like cold burnt coffee but better than that sounds. Im expecting to like it alot more when I try my next one in a few weeks.

I checked mine today and it was still giving an FG of 1.006 OG was 1.053 so I have now gone ahead and bottled it using the batch priming method. Now the waiting begins. :whistle:

I have had mine conditioning at room temperature for two weeks now. They have now been moved to a cooler location for another four weeks. :)

The Stout is nice- not much of a head tho. Ive deciding to leave it awhile before drinking it but have one in the fridge for emergencies.

The Stout is nice- not much of a head tho. Ive deciding to leave it awhile before drinking it but have one in the fridge for emergencies.

I think leaving stout in the fridge is never a good idea. I put mine in the fridge for only short periods because the colder it gets the less taste you get in the glass.

Noticed that with the Coopers Lager kit as well. Carbonation was fine but very little head. Picked up a Coopers stout in the tesco sale for £10 so will get it on once the FV is free :cheers:

I put on my second Coopers Stout today as it seems that someone has been breaking into my house on a regular basis and drinking all the bottles of my last one. Anyway, I took down my Wherry and put on the stout, I used Ikg Youngs BE, 454g of Lyons black treacle, 22g or Aramis hops on a 20 minute boil (all I had left, all or nothing sort of attitude), a tsp of yeast nutrient and a mug of very strong coffee thrown in for good measure. I pitched 11g of Wilko Gervin yeast at 21c and had an OG of 1050. What I tasted in the sample jar seemed to have a clash of tastes with sweet and bitter mixed together and if the bitterness remains I'm quite looking forward to it as I quite like the more bitter stouts. Blow off tube has been fitted in anticipation of this one going mental, the last one did and I ended up with a very stickY floor.

anyone know any small stout kits? im not a massive fan but fancy making a choc/vanilla stout, but only in small volume because i dont want to be stuck with 23l if its not great, even if it is, it wont be drunk that much!
maybe like 1 demi jons worth?

I haven't done a coopers stout in a few years but Tescos was doing them for a tenner so purchased a couple and chucked one on last Sunday with a pack of beer enhancer and about a cup full of sugar.
Tested OG yesterday and already down to 1110, tasted nice and to be honest will bottle this weekend. (primed with demmera)
will put the second one straight on but with a beer enhancer number 2.
There is no doubt that I will drink this early and could probably drink straight from fv no problem!!

Checked tescos today and they are asking £19 for this kit now!!

Latest posts

Back