Coopers stout, brewing short advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I have picked up a Coopers stout and could use some advice.

I usually brew small batch BIAB style, but fancied giving a kit a try, just for a change.

My question is, how short can I brew a Coopers stout? Due to my small batch brewing, I only use 10 or 15 litre fermenting buckets and don't have a 'full size' one to hand. I understand that when brewing short, bitterness may be an issue, and i would have to adjust how much DME/sugar to add etc?

Does anyone have experience with brewing a Coopers stout short? To about 15-ish litres?

Thanks

Hi, if you didn't add any sugar (and it is normally a 21 litre kit) you'd be fine brewing it to 10l in my opinion. The last stout kit I did, I did as a 'twocan' - two cans of stout mix, to 20 litres of water. No sugar (I did add a couple of table spoons of treacle as I couldn't help myself) and I also dry hopped for the last few days with some Northdown (I think, I forget).

Tasted excellent, and had bags of flavour and wasn't too bitter. This was Wilko stout, not tried the Coopers but can't imagine it would be an issue.

Hi, if you didn't add any sugar (and it is normally a 21 litre kit) you'd be fine brewing it to 10l in my opinion. The last stout kit I did, I did as a 'twocan' - two cans of stout mix, to 20 litres of water. No sugar (I did add a couple of table spoons of treacle as I couldn't help myself) and I also dry hopped for the last few days with some Northdown (I think, I forget).

Tasted excellent, and had bags of flavour and wasn't too bitter. This was Wilko stout, not tried the Coopers but can't imagine it would be an issue.
Thanks for that,

Yep I might give it a try at 10 or 12 litres without any sugar.

I do fancy modifying it a bit, so will have to look around and see what others recommend.

Latest posts

Back