Coriander in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Not the seed as in many a Belgian brew but the leaf and stems. I love a curry and love coriander - has anyone brewed with it as a flavouring? A while back I bought 5Kg of Williamette hops which are as yet unopened - I wondered if a lightly hopped but fragrant pale ale would bring out the character of green coriander as well?

If you need to put coriander in your beer you need to make better beer. 😊 (just my opinion). I love trying weird beers but I prefer ordinary ales, beers, porters, stouts and barley wines. Fruit is meant to go into wine. My tart cherry wine is delicious but it would ruin a beer. And, yes, I have drunk sour cherry beers.

Coriander is a herb...in the fresh form. A spice in the dried.
I'd be more inclined to say the leaf is a herb, whether fresjh or dried; and the seed is a spice, whether whole or ground. (oops - just seen JimB said the same)

And I'd not be inclined to put either in my beer. Same applies to fruit in beers. Got my son few bottes of Belgian Kriek etc at his birthday but neither of us really saw the point of taking a nice beer and flooding it with sour cherry.

I remember being out on the bike with my son a few years ago. It was a lovely summer's day so naturally I suggested a stop at a pub (he was only around 10 so was never going to turn down a coke and a bag of crisps). They had Umbel Ale on which was a beer flavoured with coriander. It was fantastic! Never seen it since.

Cardamom, Coriander, and other such additions are to be regarded as subtle additions to enhance flavour. When you add herbs to a stew they completely transform it but the stew doesn’t taste of bay, thyme, rosemary, etc. The same principle applies, very few people want their beer to taste strongly of these things.

You all already do this with hops, with yeast, with specialty grains and other adjuncts, with orange peel, oak chips, cacao nibs, even with your water profiles.

Amen. ;)

Latest posts

Back