Corny Disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been carbonating my first corny keg all week since moving from bottles. Tried a quick glass a couple of times a few evenings to understand how carbonation was going.

So yesterday a new dispense hose, disconnect and picnic tap arrived from Amazon. I attached to the keg and poured a couple of pints. Beautiful. Turned the gas down to 5psi and left it...

Just gone into the shed today. Full of condensation and floor is very damp. Gas bottle empty. Keg empty (should have more than 15L in it). Just gassed the empty keg with a sodastream bottle and I can see bubbles where the hose is fixed to the OUT disconnect... ********. :/ Entirely my fault. 1) Didn’t check for leaks. 2) Amazon...
Don’t pity me. I am a dick.

Not recommended.
PERA 3/16" Ball Lock line Assembly, Picnic tap with 3ft Beer line for Home Brewing PERA 3/16" Ball Lock line Assembly, Picnic tap with 3ft Beer line for Home Brewing: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

That's a real pain
Was it leaking from the hose to barb joint or the barb to ball lock fitting.
On the link it looks like a standard jubilee clip, I find these don't work well on small diameter tube. The automotive fuel line clips are better as they are specific sizes.
If it is the other joint then a bit of PTFE on the thread won't go amiss.
This is why I don't leave my gas on when not in use.

Swap those disconnects for the CMB brand with John Guest push fit connectors (3/8" tube x 1/4" FFL). The barb style need great care when fitting to make sure they don't leak then are best left in a setup where they don't ever move, i.e. not on the disconnect on top of your keg.

Get yourself a flow control beer tap that fits directly onto the post. No need for beer line or hose clips. Picnic taps are cheap, tacky and totally unnecessary.

Get yourself a flow control beer tap that fits directly onto the post. No need for beer line or hose clips. Picnic taps are cheap, tacky and totally unnecessary.
I’ve never got the appeal of picnic taps, assume their most be some benefits as they are not that much cheaper than a flow control tap.

Are you able to recommend a particular flow control tap please? Do they work well?

As you already know Chopps - I have also had a disaster today

Getting prepared to callibrate an Ispindel I turned my boiler on WITHOUT ANY WATER IN IT

After 10 mins or so the element became hot enough to melt the floor of the plastic bucket

I now have a bucket that does not hold water

So I then decided to make myself a coffee to relax a bit - so I set the machine working then came back to find the coffee all over the work top - I had forgotten to put a cup there

Then it took me over 3 hours to callibrate the Ispindel

Now enjoying some Old Tom aheadbutt

As you already know Chopps - I have also had a disaster today

Getting prepared to callibrate an Ispindel I turned my boiler on WITHOUT ANY WATER IN IT

After 10 mins or so the element became hot enough to melt the floor of the plastic bucket

I now have a bucket that does not hold water

So I then decided to make myself a coffee to relax a bit - so I set the machine working then came back to find the coffee all over the work top - I had forgotten to put a cup there

Then it took me over 3 hours to callibrate the Ispindel

Now enjoying some Old Tom aheadbutt
Then posted on the forum and confused 3 with 5

It took me 5 hours to callibrate the Ispindel aheadbutt

Are you able to recommend a particular flow control tap please? Do they work well?
Not the cheap ebay taps. Nothing wrong with the flow control mechanism but they're made of some kind of plated metal that dissolves into your beer over time exposing goodness knows what metal underneath.

Stainless Intertaps are great but I don't have the flow control versions so don't know how well they work.

I have got 2 intertap flow control taps and never had a problem with them, the first one was a kit from brewkegtap which connected straight to the keg, have since got hold of a tall larder fridge and put the taps through the door. I got this kit but never used the soda stream adapter, you already have the regulator but I am sure if you email Jonny he will be able to sort you out all the parts needed to correctly connect the tap.

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collection...ap-flow-control-faucet?variant=32689156620369

Stainless Intertaps are great but I don't have the flow control versions so don't know how well they work.

I do and am very pleased with them. Another recommendation for Intertaps.

While I'm here, I'd like to add that I had a very similar problem as @chopps with my first CO2 bottle. I somehow went through a full 2kg bottle of CO2 in about 3 days. The bottle was just connected to a couple of kegs to pressurise them. I couldn't figure out was going on. Eventually, I tracked the problem down to the gas line fitted over the barb on the end of my pressure guage. There was a very slow leak coming from there. I changed to slightly thinner line which was a tighter fit. Problem seems to be solved, but I am now paranoid about it.

The little taps that attach to the post are great. But I quickly realised I'd prefer a proper pub tap fastened to a wood board for more pub like serving.

I found a 2nd hand pub tap was cheaper and more satisfying to use.

I can add to make it four in Sandbach.

Filling a corney up yesterday and the lid was stuck. Gave it a thump, it moved suddenly and my hand hit the metal edge of the opening, slicing a big gouge out of the side of my thumb. Blood dripping everywhere over the kitchen floor, me trying to keep it out of the beer and the keg, whilst frantically wrapping kitchen towels around my thumb.

Filled the keg then started cleaning the bucket. Filled it half full and began lifting it out of the sink, forgot about the thumb, then remembered about the thumb as soon as I lifted it(!) and half dropped it, 'pi****g about 10 litres of water over the kitchen floor and worktops.

I'm chucking towels, tea towels anything I can get my hands on all over it, before the Mrs comes back from shopping. The thumb decides to open up again and bloods dripping and I'm creating red streaks as I'm mopping it all up on my hands and knees.... jeans all soaking, socks all soaking. It's like something out of a Carry On movie.

Luckily all mopped up before The Boss returned, although I had to come clean when she noticed that the washing machine was completely full with towels.

Can be very stressful and dangerous this brewing lark. Watch those Corney kegs they are sharp!

I wouldn't mind but this is actually the second time in two months that I've cut myself on the edge of one. The Mrs just looks at me with utter disdain like I'm the village idiot who never learns. Not going there for sympathy.

I can add to make it four in Sandbach.

Filling a corney up yesterday and the lid was stuck. Gave it a thump, it moved suddenly and my hand hit the metal edge of the opening, slicing a big gouge out of the side of my thumb. Blood dripping everywhere over the kitchen floor, me trying to keep it out of the beer and the keg, whilst frantically wrapping kitchen towels around my thumb.

Filled the keg then started cleaning the bucket. Filled it half full and began lifting it out of the sink, forgot about the thumb, then remembered about the thumb as soon as I lifted it(!) and half dropped it, 'pi****g about 10 litres of water over the kitchen floor and worktops.

I'm chucking towels, tea towels anything I can get my hands on all over it, before the Mrs comes back from shopping. The thumb decides to open up again and bloods dripping and I'm creating red streaks as I'm mopping it all up on my hands and knees.... jeans all soaking, socks all soaking. It's like something out of a Carry On movie.

Luckily all mopped up before The Boss returned, although I had to come clean when she noticed that the washing machine was completely full with towels.

Can be very stressful and dangerous this brewing lark. Watch those Corney kegs they are sharp!

I wouldn't mind but this is actually the second time in two months that I've cut myself on the edge of one. The Mrs just looks at me with utter disdain like I'm the village idiot who never learns. Not going there for sympathy.
:coat:

Well at least your beer will have some body (somebody) in it :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back