Corny Keg / CO2 safety dos and dont's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi All,

My kegging equipment has arrived and I've collected a big bottle of CO2.

Best case scenario: great tasting carbonated beer, worst case scenario: blowing myself up. I'm keen to avoid the latter!!

Before I get stuck in, what are the saftey 'dos and don't' for CO2 cylinder's and kegging?

Thanks,
JT

Don't have the set up yet. But basic stuff here is making sure the regulator is not cross threaded. Remember that CO2 not flammable, and the main hazards are sudden release of gas into confined space or damage to the cylinder causing it to explode.
Make sure if storing upright that it is stable and not likely to be knocked over.

Hi!
I've used my gas bottle and kegs for 6 months now. I bought a cheap bracket to fasten the gas bottle to the wall - they're too heavy to fall on your foot! Measure twice, cut once - double check that the valve is turned off before connecting/disconnecting any fittings. Use John Guest fittings - much easier to use. Spray Starsan onto any connections to check that they are gas-tight.
Enjoy kegging- it's great for beer.

I was so excited at my new CO2 setup when I got it that I forgot to secure the bottle and so pulled it over after 2 minutes smashing the brand new regulator and just missing my head. These tanks are heavy and unstable so totally agree about securing them upright with something like a chain or rope to a couple of strong points on a wall just at the neck is fine. Once it's chained it won't fall over again so then work out your tubing lengths from there I would suggest so you can leave cylinder in one place.
Re safety all my regulators have been safe but I do leave them unconnected until required. When first fitting the regulator use plenty of ptfe tape on the threads for a proper seal though. My Cornie seals leak only at about 3 psi so I keep my cornies about 20 even 30 for long storage and about 10 psi for dispensing.
And gas cylinders and toes inside slippers don't go well as I found out a while back. Never realised it takes 6 months for a big toe nail to grow a new one underneath before falling off!
Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back